We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

Level Contributor
19 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

Hey, will be taking a cruise out of Mobile in June of '06. Is there a good "entertainment district" in Mobile that is safe to walk around during the day and at night? We would like to stay close to the cruise terminal and within walking distance of any entertainment areas. Thanks!

Mobile
Level Contributor
212 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

There are some bars and resteraunts on Dauphin Street downtown. It is not always the most hopping place but does pretty well on weekend nights, probably Thursdays too. It does fit the bill of being close to where you want to be. Not a lot of shopping or anything like that though. For close hotels, I'd recommend the Radison Admiral Semmes or the Riverview Plaza.

Mobile
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

Living in Mobile for two years, just six city blocks from the downtown area, I recommend checking out the website www.mobilearts.org for a list of entertainmnet in Mobile. Mobile's nightlife is a late night crowd with the bars open 24/7 with live entertainment on Wednesday through Saturday nights. On the second Saturday of each month, Mobile downtown holds an Art Walk, which exhibits local artist in galleries and other venues. Since living here, I have eaten at several places throughout Mobile and have witnessed new places opening in the downtown area. Walking tours maps and other tourist information are available through the convention center, www.mobilebay.org. Come, experience, Mobile's Renaissance in the new Century.

Level Contributor
19 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

Thanks so much for the tips. I am definitely looking at the Raddison as a place to stay. Late night live bands and dancing is what we are looking for. I will also check out those websites.

fairhope, al
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

J.D.: I've lived in the Mobile area almost all of my life and agree with the last two posts on where to stay...either the Riverview Plaza (reserve a room with a view of Mobile Bay) or Radison Admiral Semmes. However, I would recommend that you use your vehicle (if you have one) or take a cab when going to dinner or out for entertainment. It is usually easy to find a good parking space in well-lighted areas. When walking from either of these motels to the clubs or restaurants, you must walk through some pretty dark and deserted streets. There is a police presence, but better to be safe, especially since you aren't familiar with the area. Unfortunately, we do have our crime problems just like any other city of our size.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

Since Katrina hit, and before , downtown on Dauphin has been hopping! They have certain parts of Dauphin closed to traffic on certain nights and police patrol on horseback.

We live close to downtown and occasionally we 30-somethings go out on the town. Our absolute favorite is Martini's(piano player is good but sound is always too loud) and upstairs is a small dance club called Club Retro. You can also go out on the New Orleans' like balcony and survey the crowd below. We would like it to be a little more retro music but there is not a super young crowd. What I mean is there is well behaved, non Girls gone wild dancing.

There is a police precinct on Dauphin and plenty of supervision. During the day, a nice free trolley service aimed at tourists called MODA runs and sometimes on monthly ArtWalk nights. Look for more good things on the way as downtown owners are now paying a special tax which funds all kinds of great things.

Many people meet at the Garage or Bicycle Shop(on Dauphin further West by Wintzell's Oyster House) and walk down Dauphin just past Cathedral Square to the Main bar areas.

Grand Central Station, Boo Radley's , Hayley's and a bar called Soul Kitchen? seem popular with the young ones.

Midtown: Also we like the Bakery Bar and especially Callaghan's Irish Pub on Marine Street. Guido's food is divine. I like Bilotti's as well. The Double Olive is popular too. Do you want to see well to do locals? Go to Ruth's Chris steak house.

There are tons of places to eat. Whoever said there is nothing to do downtown must NEVER go there. Mama's , a late night breakfast place and Picklefish . Port City Brewery for food and beer. Loretta's on Conception. Quatorze and Cafe 615. Wintzell's. Spot of Tea & Three Georges during the day. Hero's Sports Bar. Busaba's Thai food. This is not a comprehensive list just ones I quickly thought up.

HEre's another good link to try:

www.mainstreetmobile.org

Somerville, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g30709-s402/Mobile:Al…

To see (and edit/create) more Mobile pages, go here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g30709-s1/…Inside.html

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

Soul Kitchen on Dauphin Street is pretty popular.

Blue Gill on the causeway on a Sunday night. My new favorite for the last year is Liquid, by Wintzell's west on Dauphin, for sushi. Try the Sante Fe roll. A lot of my friends like Samari J's on Bienville square but I've got to have the cool old new wave/punk music they play at Liquid. The Bicycle Shop next door is now serving Mexican (limited menu) that's really good. They have a lot of tvs.

Also Royal Scam, corner of Royal/Govt. good tapas menu- next door is Veet's , cool bar. Top place to stay would be The Battle House. Trellis Room has bad service, but you can have the same food with better service in the hotel's street side bar, Royal St. Tavern. 2nd choice- the Riverview. Believe it or not, the new Holiday Inn, the hotel that has a bar(a good one) on top that looks like a UFO landed, is pretty decent but I would want it to be a really good price.

8. Re: Mobile - Night life andd where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 15, 2009