We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

Which Mobile hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
14 posts
Save Topic
where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

Visiting Mobile, AL for the 1st time, in August and need a recommendation for hotel. Safe, clean, free parking and reasonably priced. There is a large group of us traveling and I'm not seeing any helpful reviews, dated in 2009, which make me comfortable suggesting a hotel to my friends.

Which hotels and areas of town should be avoided? Not too close to the airport, as we are traveling 20 miles SE and hate to have to make that trip in the wee hours of the night.

Please help. We are arriving by plane and tain. Unfortunately, Mobile no longer has an Amtrak station, leaving a few of us stranded in Hattiesburg, MS for a short time. At this time, I'm willing to consider a hotel further away, if it's worth it.

While I'm on the subject...anybody able to give me info about Hattiesburg? Safety? Car Rental available? Smoothness of the 2 hour ride we have to take to Mobile? No train tickets purchased yet, so we can alter the mode of transportation to air, and air alone.

Thank you.

US
Level Contributor
456 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

There are a couple new motels in downtown Mobile. Believe the Hampton is one. I would guess they charge for parking. A number of newer and nicer motels on the Eastern Shore and Daphne, right off I-10. Doubt if they charge for parking. Downtown Mobile does not have a lot going on in the evening as far as restaurants. You'll find many more on the Eastern Shore.

Can't help with the Hattiesburg situation.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

I avoid Hattiesburg like the plague. It's a dump. Traffic is awful. No good restaurants. Not sure if there is car rental available, or not. The drive to Mobile is relatively easy, though. The last 20 miles from the AL state line to downtown Mobile is a little slow.

Some excellent restaurants in downtown Mobile. Cafe 615 is wonderful. 219 used to be nice. Wintzell's original restaurant is there.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

In Mobile, there are several motels at the Airport Road and I-65 intersection that would have free parking and be an OK area. You say that you are "traveling 20 miles SE." That sounds like maybe Daphne or Fairhope. If so, then look for something in those areas or the eastern shore of Mobile Bay.

If you see specific places you need more information about, let us know.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,115 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

The train station at HB is very nice and is served by local buses. I know nothing about the rental cars. I suppose you are catching the Crescent somewhere north of us. We enjoyed a trip last year to and from Virginia. However there was a substantial difference in the condition of the cars and staff attitudes from train to train. Somehow we ended up with the same dining room crew who were great

pennsylvania
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

Thanks for your suggestions. Not sure how to reply to each of you individually, yet but:

1. I'll look into hotels in Eastern Shore

2. Hattiesburg. Has anyone been to the train station within the last 3 months? I can't recommend this mode of transportation if there is any issue with their safety.

3. What specifically were the differences in attitude, etc "from train to train". It's a long trip and there will be children traveling with adults. It will be an adventure for all of them, I'm sure, and I don't want it marred by the ugliness of adults. Any details?

4. I appreciate all of your recommendations.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,115 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

Train to Train difference--level of service. The car attendent on the way up --couldn't care less.

When we got on the train on the way back we should not have been eligible for a meal according to the schedule--the conductor told us to go immediately to the dining car and get what we wanted. The car attendent used the time to get our sleeper ready for bed--our 5yr old was with us.

Use private message to continue this if you wish

Jackson,MS
Level Contributor
885 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

Hattiesburg is safe....my kids graduated from University of Southern Miss. there in Hattiesburg and felt totally safe during their time there. Son still lives there. He rents cars for his job from the airport there. I'm sure there are other places there in Hattiesburg to rent car from. They have beautifully remodeled the train depot downtown.

There are a good number of nice hotels in Hattiesburg....just research the yellow pages and it will give you an idea. We have stayed in a couple of them and enjoyed it.

Hwy. 98 just South of Hattiesburg is a nice smooth 4 lane highway that goes straight to Mobile. You ought to check it on a road atlas as to the route as it goes through Mobile.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

The Eastern shore might be nice, but is a distance from Mobile aor at the very least, it isn't easy to get to from there. Also the traffic is bad on the southeastern end and expect to spend twice as much on that side of the bay overall.

However, if you still decide to stay on that side, then I would recommend something up north like Daphne or Spanish Fort. You'll often hear Mobilians saying, "Everything fun is in Daphne!"

Sorry, I don't know anything about the train station nor Hattiesburg.

I love your trip though, coming in on a train like that. They just don't make things like they used to! :)

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

It's been since 2000, and the hotel has changed names, it's the Holiday Inn MOBILE-DWTN/HIST. DISTRIC. I was there for a WWII reunion when it was the Lafayette Plaza. It was very nice and parking was free. It's the round hotel off Interstate 10. Check the Holiday Inn website for more information.

10. Re: where to stay? avoid? eat? avoid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:39 am, December 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mobile