We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels and tips along i-10 from Florida to California

Dpscc
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotels and tips along i-10 from Florida to California

Hi. I'm planning a trip soon going through i10 from Florida to California. We'll be stopping at Tallahassee (FL), Baton Rouge (LA), San Antonio and El Paso (TX), and Phoenix (AZ) before arriving at the destination.

While we want to enjoy the trip, it's a moving truck, and we actually want to arrive quickly and safely rather than take longer to enjoy the sightseeings.

I've been doing some research about the Interstate, but have some questions left unanswered:

- Anyone have tips for decent (in price, location and safety) hotels in those cities? Don't know whether to stay close to i10, for ease, or drive into town for better places (again, tourism is not that high on the list)

- Any city or area among those that should be avoided?

- Also, are there tolls along the way on i10? Couldn't find any info on it anywhere...

Any and all tips are more than welcomed!

Thanks a lot in advance!

south
Level Contributor
235 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels and tips along i-10 from Florida to California

replied to your message on the Florida forum...

US
Level Contributor
463 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels and tips along i-10 from Florida to California

Couple of years ago we took I-10 from Alabama to Las Cruces, NM. It was a fairly easy drive although there was construction west of New Orleans into Texas. But it may be completed now. Only difficult part of the drive was going thru Houston!!!! Two narrow lanes, construction, crazy drivers and definitely avoid rush hour in the morning or PM.

No toll roads, lots of motels off I-10. Not many rest areas once you get into Texas, especially western Texas, very deserted driving across the desert, speed limit 80, and you won't see many cars (except the border patrol). Be prepared to be stopped and searched driving a truck.

If stopping over night near El Paso or Las Cruces, of the two I would definitely choose Las Cruces. El Paso is a busy military town, lots of traffic.

3. Re: Hotels and tips along i-10 from Florida to California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, October 01, 2009