We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis at Mardi Gras - Advice Please!!!

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Topic
Taxis at Mardi Gras - Advice Please!!!

OK , as mentioned in the thread from my original post, I have pretty much decided to come down for the big event. I have booked a room at the Mobile Marriott, sunday - wednesday.

I haven't done the flight yet, and am hoping somebody from Mobile can re-assure me.

I would MUCH prefer to have gotten a room downtown but prices and availibility won't allow that. Many people have suggested that I would need to rent a car but given that I hope to spend at least a little time with a beer in my hand ;-), I don't think that's a good idea.

So I'll ask again: Is it completely far-fetched to think I can have a good time using taxis to get around? Please advise. If for some bizarre reason Mobile does not have taxis, I'll have to make alternate vacation plans soon.

Thanks!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis at Mardi Gras - Advice Please!!!

Which Mobile Marriott did you book your room at? Taxi's just raised their rates here. So its definitely realistic to use taxis to get around, but be prepared to pay dearly for them to sit through Mardi Gras traffic to get you back to your hotel.

Yellow Cabs Rates:

Rates:

$ 2.20 for the first one sixth mile or fraction thereof.

$ 0.25 for each additional one sixth mile or fraction.

$ 0.50 for each person above two.

$18.00 per hour wait time

http://www.yellowcabofmobile.com/rates.htm

Here is some good info on Mardi Gras for you:

http://www.cityofmobile.org/mardigras.php

www.mobile.org/vis_mardigras_safety.php

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis at Mardi Gras - Advice Please!!!

Are you at the Marriott in Point Clear(on the Bay)? Because that would break the bank for taxis. It's over 30 minutes away,probably more.

If you are, you'll need to rent a car. But maybe the concierge there can set you up with a better way, like a van shuttle or something with other parade-goers.

If you are in Mobile, taxis would be fine.

If your room is tentative, you may want to check the area bed and breakfasts, like Berney/Fly or My Victorian B&B. Also the Holiday Inn Downtown is a new, refurbished hotel that is nicer than we thought it would be. It might be under the radar since there have been confusing name changes.

Many locals book the room for only one to two nights. This may be an option for you if you are set on downtown. You might have to move around from hotel to hotel; it could be fun!

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis at Mardi Gras - Advice Please!!!

MobileMystic -

Thanks for the info , and your other post about barbecue.

I am staying at the Mobile Marriott located on Airport road. While I would have preferred to be within stumbling distance I guess it will alright to take cabs once or twice a day.

Thanks again.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis at Mardi Gras - Advice Please!!!

They just had an article in the Mobile Press-Register today(Wednesday) which said the cost of taxi cab fares were allowed by the City Council yesterday (Tuesday) to rise by 30%.

For instance, the cost of a five mile ride , such as one from Bel Air Mall(this is at the intersection of I-65/Airport Blvd) to downtown Mobile, would rise from $9.45 to $12.36. This is right by your hotel,just a few lights farther west.

I could not tell when this change is implemented- I assume now to take advantage of the Mardi Gras tourism.

To break it down:

The first one-sixth mile rises from $2.20 to $2.50.

Every one-sixth mile thereafter rises from 25 cents to 34 cents.

It said there were 51 cabs in Mobile, with Yellow Cab owning 35 of them.

You know, I bet at least the Mobile Marriott is going to be doing a shuttle downtown during Mardi Gras.

5. Re: Taxis at Mardi Gras - Advice Please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 18, 2009