We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruising from Mobile

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
cruising from Mobile

We are actually looking for hotels close to this port. We will be driving down the day before and doing the town before boarding the cruise ship and was wondering if anyone has any info on hotels close to there. Any good suggestions on things to do while in Mobile? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruising from Mobile

When are you planning on coming down?

The Radisson Admiral Semmes is pretty close to the port, has nice accomodations, a great restaurant and they are running a Back to School special through August (just got an email today announcing it.) If you're coming later than that, you could check the Radisson website or call their 800 number for any deals. Other options in the general area are the Battle House, the Riverview Plaza, the Malaga Inn, the Lafayette Plaza. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

As for activities, alot may depend on your arrival date and interests of your group. There is the Exploreum/IMAX theater, Mardi Gras museum, Fort Conde, police museum and the lower Dauphin Street restaurant/bar district all within walking distance from downtown hotels. The USS Alabama is a short drive away on the causeway and there are a wide variety of restaurants on the causeway as well.

FYI, the port of Mobile is very easy to negotiate, and you'll be on board in no time at all. Happy cruising!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruising from Mobile

We plan on arriving on Aug 22 as the cruise leaves the 23rd. WIll pretty much have the afternoon and night and next day for activities in Mobile. Thanks for any help.

Painesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cruising from Mobile

We have booked our cruise that will leave out of Mobile the middle of January 08, we will be flying in the day or two before we set sail, does anyone know how far the airport is from the cruise ship port? I saw the previous post and will look into the suggestions for hotels. What kind of activities are there in the Mobile area during January? and what is your weather like at that time?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sylacauga, AL
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruising from Mobile

it does tend to get cool down there, my son went to college and there and he did buy a heavy coat and was cold a few times, you have to remember that being off the water, makes the air cooler too, it seems.

My son graduated near the port, and there are lots of nice hotels around there, and i saw a street that seemed to have outdoor diners on it as well.

Go to their websites for al.com, and that might help you find out a few things, and follow up on links, the tourism place will send you a packet if you ask for it.

Dauphin island before Katrina was a nice place to enjoy the beach, but not sure what is really left of it now.

I think they redid a old hotel down there and that would be nice to look at if you like that sort of thing. The old houses are just great to look at.

I would never get tired of going and seeing and doing along the gulf coast, too bad i just cant afford to, see and do it all, lol. Hope you enjoy your trip!

5. Re: cruising from Mobile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, September 11, 2009