We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single 26 yr. old daughter moving to Mobile for grad. school

atlanta
1 post
Save Topic
Single 26 yr. old daughter moving to Mobile for grad. school

I have enjoyed reading all your posts as I am gathering information for my daughter. She will be attending graduate school soon at USA. We want to make sure she lives in a safe area and can't find much information about great affordable apartment complexes near the university. (She does not want to live in the same complexes where all the 18-20 yr. old undergrads live, )

Where do all the young single professionals live in Mobile and where do they go for "safe nighlife"?

Why Mobile? My daughter has always wanted to live near the Gulf beaches and loves the historic nature of Mobile. She has been living and commuting to work in the Atlanta area and is miserable here. She is ready for a change! Can anyone help us with information for singles in Mobile.

US
Level Contributor
460 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single 26 yr. old daughter moving to Mobile for grad. school

She probably will be best off in an apartment in West Mobile. There are several "gated" communities. There's also a complex (not gated) on Wall Street. Cannot recall the name. Lived there for a short six months while we were building a home. Seemed to be a lot of young professionals living there.

If she really wants to commute, she might enjoy the Eastern Shore, Daphne. She would be closer to the Gulf beaches there. My son's first home was a condo on Mobile Bay, filled with young professionals, Sunset Bay Villas, I believe.

Mobile
Level Contributor
212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single 26 yr. old daughter moving to Mobile for grad. school

Try Lenox Gates Apartments, not too far down Hillcrest Road from the campus, and in a nice area. It's at the intersection of Hillcrest and Grelot. Just north of there are some called Wall Street I believe. There is also a very nice complex off Grelot, near the intersection of Grelot and University.

Mobile is a great place to live, I'm sure she'll like it.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single 26 yr. old daughter moving to Mobile for grad. school

The Spring Hill area would be good. 36608 zipcode is easy way to check. Stay away from USA though. Anywhere on Old Shell Rd east of University , west of I-65 is good. We lived in Maison D'Ville apartments when we first came here, while we built our house. It's full of old Spring Hillians and very safe. Also look into renting a house in Spring Hill area. It's a good area and lots of people rent their houses because they want to hold onto them.

A lot of the Young Professionals live in house apartments in Midtown. These are homes that are divided up into apartments.

That's a mixed bag, of course, but any house on Dauphin Street should be fine. Midtown should be considered the area between Ann Street, Government St., Old Shell Rd. and Florida Street. There are some other areas like Oakleigh Garden District (where I live)and neighborhoods around some sections of Spring Hill Avenue that are good, but my definition of Midtown should be the easiest to search. Most of the apartment complexes in Midtown should be avoided. Or like Spring Hill, she could rent a house. Roberts Brothers has some rentals.

There is a neat tower on Ryan Park downtown that is marketed towards young professionals. She might want to check it out. Also, condo units downtown may be renting. I think downtown is pretty safe, but I don't know that I would live by myself there.

De Tonti Square area is a well-kept secret. Very quiet and safe downtown area(north of Dauphin Street.). It used to not be but now it is. We renovated a house there and would have loved to find something for our family. There are a lot of apartment houses with good people. Fun at Mardi Gras as well(3 blocks away). I would live by myself here or Church St. East District which is south of Govt. north of Canal.

The commute across the Bay is killer and it is just not that historical. I don't think she would be happy there. We lived in Fairhope for a while, and just hated it. It wasn't Fairhope so much, just the commute and people aren't as friendly as in the historic districts. I think you have the situation of people driving into their caves and never coming out. My mom lives there and loves it but she's over 60.

Safe nightlife: The Bakery's bar, Callaghan's in Oakleigh Garden DIstrict, and lately, the Skyview Lounge(dance club) at the top of Lafayette Plaza. The Double Olive. Too soon to tell, but I think the Battle House's Bar (street level) will be popular.

mobile
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single 26 yr. old daughter moving to Mobile for grad. school

D'Iberville apartments on Springhill Ave (36607) is a great apartment complex in midtown, a straight shot to downtown (where most of the bars are) and almost a straight shot to USA. It is an older complex with more of a historic feel (hardwood floors etc). I have quite a few girlfriends that live there alone and feel very comfortable. I almost moved there but I decided to go ahead and buy in midtown. I am 28 and single and feel very safe in midtown. Your daughter would meet quite a few young professionals there. I also know for a fact that a recent King of Mardi Gras lives in that complex, if that means anything. A security guard usually drives around on a golf cart at night. They also have back door garbage pick up, or used to a coulple of years ago.

Hope this helps!

Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Single 26 yr. old daughter moving to Mobile for grad. school

Regency Gate, 5500 Grelot Road. Recommend. I used to live there myself.

6. Re: Single 26 yr. old daughter moving to Mobile for grad. school

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 06, 2009