We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip dilemma

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Day trip dilemma

Hi all,

We are travelling to KL for six nights and wanted to do a day trip to Melaka. Unfortunately, staying the night is not an option as we have already booked accommodation in KL.

We are arriving on the Saturday afternoon and leaving midnight Friday night. My dilemma is, when is the best day to do a day trip to Melaka? Should we go Sunday morning, as I hear that Melaka is best on weekends? I'm a bit hesitant however, as this will be our first time to KL, and I wonder how I will go finding the bus station, etc, on my first day there. Or, should I take a couple of days to familiarise myself with the city and travel to Melaka later on in the week?

We are staying in the Golden Triangle area of KL. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip dilemma

Hi Cath J,

Sunday or Friday (the best as less crowded) are better days to visit as there is the bustling weekend night market starting 6pm and all tourist places are open.

I suggest you to go on Friday the last day and take bus (4 daily) or taxi (approx RM150) direct from Melaka to KLIA / LCCT. You can leave your luggage at the Melaka bus station luggage storage counter at very minimum fee. However, you may find this option unappealing unless you don't mind taking shower or change in KLIA / LCCT before departuire. Otherwise, cancel the last night in KL and stay in Melaka for 1 night as the hotel in Melaka is cheaper and some offers unique Malaccan heritage experience.

The bus terminal (Bandar Tasik Selatan or TBS) serving southern states (Melaka, Johor) is 30mins taxi ride (approx RM30) from the city centre / golden triangle. You don't need to prebook ticket within regular hours 10am-8pm.

Puduraya bus terminal which is just a few stations away from Bukit Bintang monorail has a few daily buses to Melaka as well.

If you stay in golden triangle, the monorail and LRT map will easily get you to TBS pr Puduraya.

http://www.kiat.net/malaysia/KL/transit.html

http://www.ticket4u.com.my/transnasional/

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip dilemma

Thanks so much for your great advice. At this stage, as I haven't visited Malaysia before, I am still a little bit hesitant to travel back from Melaka on the day of my flight.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a day trip either Sunday or Thursday. I understand that there are night markets on the weekend that won't be open during the week, but is there anything else of significance that I would miss out on if I went on the Thursday? I am not too fussed about missing the markets.

Also, if I caught the last bus back to KL at night, what time would I need to leave the central Melaka area to comfortably make it back to the bus in time?

Thanks again for your great help :)

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip dilemma

I personally feel that Thursday is probably the worst day to visit Melaka. I live in town and many shops are closed on this day. Sunday is by far the better day to come for a visit. You should try to leave for the bus stop about 1 hour before the departure time of your bus, just to be safe.

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip dilemma

Thank you both for your great advice. It looks like I will head to Melaka on the Sunday then.

I will probably try to take the last bus back to KL to maximise my time in town. I believe this bus will get back about midnight - are there any safety issues I should know about getting back this late at night? I was planning on taking a taxi back to my hotel.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip dilemma

Hi Cath,

You will need to buy the ticket for last bus back which may be before 10pm. The TBS terminal is safe as it is well lit and open 24 hours with police on site. taking taxi straight from the taxi stand is straight forward. You would need to ask the price first, should be no more than RM50 to KL city hotel.

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip dilemma

Great, you've put my mind at ease. Thanks so much to you both for your help.

7. Re: Day trip dilemma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, September 21, 2014