We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Melaka

Level Contributor
12 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Melaka

Hi all

We are going to be in Melaka in May. We will take a bus from Kuala Lumpur. We are staying in the Aldy hotel. Which bus we can take to get there? (nr 17?) where to buy a ticket? in the bus? Also how far is it?

I was just thinking to have a walk in Stadhuys, Have lunch at bambo hut. Go to the St. Paul;s Church and villa Santosa. Try the Banana Leaf restaurant and go to the River cruise at 7 pm. Do they drop off at the same place we get on the boat? Do you think is ittoo much for one afternoon?

The next day I would start in the Cheng Ho museum, 8 Herren Street, Baba Nyonya. Withe the break for a meal. Then heading to the port. Any good place to hava coffee or be a break there? Coffee beer?

Is there anything we should visit in Melaka and i miss it in my plan?

Is it close enought to just walk aroud to those places or we need to take a taxi or bus?

Edited: 2:29 am, April 20, 2013
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Melaka

We walked a lot in Melaka, most places are walking distance. But if you get hot and tired, taxis are very cheap about 10 RM. Also, definitely get a trishaw at some point...they are so funky with music blarring out and wacky decorations, quite an experience

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Melaka

Hi Mm18

There are two Aldy Hotels in Melaka; the original one next to Studhuys is the best located hotel in town (but can be noisy due to street noise) and Aldy China Town is actually at the busy main road that is 5-10 minutes from China town (the street noise is worse with no open window).

Melaka's Studhuys and China town is linked by a tiny bridge and everything of interest is clustered around Studhuys which is why most tourists just do a day trip to Melaka. Only Villa Sentosa is 20-30mins slow walk along the river or you could visit it on a boat trip during the day where you can drop off at any of the stops and get back to the boat later.

For me, timing the places to visit is crucial to make your trip enjoyable as Melaka's attractions are often exposed to the relentless sun. In the morning before 11am and after 5pm, it is good to have a walk along Jonker street (shop only open after 10am) and the more charming and quaint Hereen & Harmony Street which run paralel to both side of Jonker street. Avoid Jonker Street from midday to late afternoon especially on weekend; too crowded, too warm. The same goes to Studhuys which get very packed in the afternoon. During the afternoon, it is best to visit musuems and even dataran Pahlawan Mall which is opposite A Farmosa Gate (Porta de Santigo) to cool down and avoid the crowd.

Here are what I think are the must visit places:

1.) Studhuys & St Paul Hill (morning & evening has better view)

2.) China Town (especially Hereen Street & Harmoney Street for the ornate Dutch era house & temples )

3.) Evening river cruise from 7pm for best view. You can embark and disembark at the jetty port.

4.) Baba House & Cheng Ho Museum (Visit when it is very hot outside)

5.) Revolving Tower (evening or night for glittering lights of the town)

Two cafes are recommended for drink and snacks, The Baboon House (Hereen Street) and Calanthe art Cafe (Jalan Hang Kasturi, the first lane linking Hereen and Jonker Street)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Melaka

We also stopped by Calanthe art Cafe during recent trip to Malacca. That is a great coffee stop. See link (w/pictures) if interested.

Calanthe art Cafe

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g306997-d146…

We also very much enjoyed meals at Nancy's Kitchen and Riverine, which we found to be recommendable dining stops to make. See links (w/ pictures) if useful.

Nancy's Kitchens

tripadvisor.com/…UR156589704

Riverine

tripadvisor.com/…UR156460758

We also quite enjoyed stops at Satay Capitol and the Big Ice

Satay Capitol

tripadvisor.com/…UR156746793

Big Bowl The City of Ice (dessert stop)

tripadvisor.com/…UR156746554

Hope these are helpful for those seeking restaurant/cafe recommendations in Malacca.

Level Contributor
12 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Melaka

Thank you for all the advices!

We spent lovely two days in Melaka. Had planty of time to do all the stuff we have planned. I recommend Nancy's Kitchen and Bamboo Hut for a meal. Yummy!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Melaka

>>>I recommend Nancy's Kitchen<<<<

We also recommend Nancy's Kitchen. Had a great meal there not long ago.

6. Re: 2 days in Melaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 31, 2014