We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child / Pram friendly walkways?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Child / Pram friendly walkways?

I am arriving in Melaka via cruise and I assume the cruise will have smaller boats that alight us at the Ferry Jetty along Melaka river?

How child friendly are the streets / roads / walkway to Jonker street for chicken rice & chendol? I intend to walk to Mahkota Parade from the Clock Tower as well... There's a GIANT hypermart there?

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
975 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child / Pram friendly walkways?

Malaysian footpaths if they are there are commonly pedestrian unfriendly...potholes, uncovered manholes low hanging wires (luckily rarely electrical) cars parked on footpaths etc. That is when you are walking. For a pram the difficulty factor increases.

Even the five feet ways which are common in Penang and Melaka have a frustrating way of disappearing, steps and even grilles forcing one on to the roadway.

Perhaps think about hiring a trishaw and enjoying the local mode of transportation

Enjoy

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
393 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child / Pram friendly walkways?

I would not recommend child pram as the walkway is challenging but I would take a baby carrier for visiting jonker with my baby.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child / Pram friendly walkways?

Hi

The cruise ships have small boats (called tender) to send interested travelers to the Melaka Jetty which has riverwalk promenade that is pedestrian and pram friendly.

Jonker Walk is 3-5 minutes away, along the river. There is small walkway on the left side of Jonker Walk but it gets too crowded on weekends.

Below are some photos to give you some ideas

meitzeu.com/2011/10/lunch-at-famosa-chicken-…

As highligted, don't go to Famosa chicken rice ball which many tourists somehow get attracted to.

2bearbear.com/battle-of-the-malacca-melaka-j…

4. Re: Child / Pram friendly walkways?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 07, 2014