We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

Hi Melaka experts! We are four adults and a two-year old hoping to visit Melaka from Singapore for the first time on 18th-20th August. We've left booking a bit late for the holiday weekend so we're stuck with peak rates for hotels:

Renaissance - Deluxe rooms for SGD 148/night. Junior suite at SGD 163/night and club rooms at SGD 180/night

Holiday Inn - Only Club rooms available, SGD 225/night

Our first preference would be the Holiday Inn for the pool, reviews, and relative newness of the property. My understanding is that Renaissance is much older, a bit run down, but better located. For this price difference, would you go with the Renaissance?

Thanks!

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

Renaissance is not well located, a bit far from tourist attractions. Holiday Inn is within walking distance.

There are some newer 4 stars hotels near Dataran Pahlawan, near the tourist center, sorry cant remember the names. Hatten, if i m not mistaken.

Gisborne, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

At these prices I would definitely go for the Renaissance. Yes it is an older hotel but it is still THE quality hotel in Melaka. Holiday Inn is a good 3-star but is not in the same league. Renaissance is in Jalan Bendahara about 10 mins leisurely walk down Jln Bunga Raya to the clock tower and Stadhuys and another 10 minutes to Makhota Parade. I have stayed in both hotels and make my recommendation on personal experience

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
763 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

It depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. Renaissance is at an older part of Melaka, like the old town, it was the happening place when I was a student there ages ago. Holiday inn is in the happening place at the moment, it is on the reclaim land, walking distance to most tourist places. Lots of eating places and Mahkota shopping complex is right across it. It is also a short drive to the Portugese village. Though it will be very congested during holiday period and weekends.

The club rooms are spacious and bright, with most amenities, it includes usage of the club with snacks, drink and free wifi.

Equatorial is also in that area called Melaka raya, a bit older, maybe cheaper?!

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

Hi Isabelly

Holiday Inn is in better location with seaview and newer building and interior. Club rooms are not worth it unless you intend to spend some time in hotel and enjoy its lounge.

Have you tried Agoda to book two rooms in other properties like Equatorial, Hatten Hotel (few months old between the two malls) or The Sterling (no pool)? All these hotels have better locations (shopping and Jonker Walk) than Holiday Inn and Renaissance.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

You guys are so helpful!! The prices I quoted were from Agoda, and the Equatorial is even more expensive at SGD 276/night! I will look into Hatten.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

The problem is that we've left booking too late! Hatten is fully booked, and the only available Holiday Inn rooms are the club level with straits view.

7. Re: Holiday Inn vs Renaissance price difference

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 21, 2013