We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to/from Melaka?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi to/from Melaka?

Our family (couple, infant and maid) would like to visit Melaka from Singapore on Chinese New Year long weekend. We are thinking of taking a taxi, but I understand from these forums that it is much cheaper to take a taxi from within Malaysia. Would it be silly to take a taxi from here to JB (flat rate of S$60 I think taxi able to cross border) and then a Malaysian taxi from JB to Melaka? If that sounds like a good idea, does anyone know the JB taxi company to call for booking?

The second option would be to take a taxi to JB and then a coach from there, but I understand from an older thread that JB coaches are not as nice as those from Singapore. The reason I am trying to avoid a coach from Singapore is I do not want to get out and do the immigration dance at the checkpoint on this very very busy travel weekend - my baby might wail the entire time and ruin the beginning of our (and everyone near us's) holiday. Are the JB coaches uncomfortable? Are the Singapore coaches sufficiently better to make it worth getting out to do immigration (even with a baby)?

Finally what is the best way to book a taxi from Melaka to Singapore?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi to/from Melaka?

Whatever you decide to do, you have to go thru immigration.

So, to keep your travel time to a minimum, just take a coach from Singapore direct to Melaka.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi to/from Melaka?

Do I understand incorrectly that when you take a coach, everyone gets out of the coach with their luggage to queue up for immigration and then piles back onto the coach afterwards?

In the taxi you just stay in the car.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi to/from Melaka?

You are correct - but the que (esp. for cars) will be very long during CNY.

It is a pain to get off the bus, but processing is very quick.

Also, only certain taxies can cross the border so your choice is reduced and they may already be booked up.

You then have the problem of finding a long distance taxi in JB.

Have you thought about the train? Leaves about 8am (check the time plz) and you could get off at Tampin - then it is a much shorter taxi ride to Melaka.

Immigration is very quick for the train.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi to/from Melaka?

Hi,

It is definitely better to take a luxury coach than a taxi to Malacca. The dual immigration checks are never too long even on busy long weekends in Second Link check point as buses can only offload the passengers when they are approaching the immigration door.

So, even if it is jammed, you will be stucked in the coach, not so much on the queue at immigration. Luxury coaches like Grassland, Konsortium and Five Star use second link outbound.

Train can also be considered but the trip can be long and prone to delayed. If I am not mistaken, you may not get off the train for immigration check or only one check is done. From Pulau Sepang station, Malacca town is 1 hour away. There are always taxi during the day outside the station.

Malaysian Taxi will be uncomfortable as most use protons which are small for your family. If there is a traffic jam which is very likely, you have no space to get up and walk around to calm the baby. The only plus is as you mention, passengers could get passport stamped in the car.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi to/from Melaka?

This is exactly the guidance I was looking for. Thank you. I checked on Easibook.com and it looks like the only two companies offering trips on my outbound (Saturday 13th) are Luxury Tours & Travel and Citiexchange. Do you know whether they take second link?

On the return (Monday 15th), do you also recommend coach over taxi? At $45 per person for 3 people, I wonder how much cheaper Malaysian taxi would be. On the other hand if we're just going to be cramped and miserable, I should just pay up for the coach.

Thank you so much for your help.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi to/from Melaka?

Hi

Coach using 2nd link to Malacca is definitely more convenienence.

Ask the company selling the coach ticket.,causeway or 2nd link.??

Just one phone call or e-mail to the coach company

Cheers

Edited: 10:20 pm, January 11, 2010
Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi to/from Melaka?

Hi isabelly,

Luxury Tour Coaches are not really luxurious. They are however newer than those of Citiholiday. Both companies have 3 seats in one row and reclinable up to 45 degrees.

Your return is on Monday, I don't think the traffic will be bad as Tuesday is still a holiday.

All buses from Melaka however use Woodlands check point for the return but you could take taxi from here (quite a walk though building complex to the taxi stand) once you clear Singapore immigration.

8. Re: Taxi to/from Melaka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 12, 2010