We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on picking a hotel

Which Melaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Slovenia
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help on picking a hotel

Hi,

We will stay in Melaka for 2 days at the begining of our 3 weeks journey around Malaysia. Since we will arrive after a 26 hour journey, we are looking for a decent clean hotel to relax, and explore the city and have a dinner, some drinks in the center (Jonker street?).

I have short-listed a few hotels that I think would fit, but as I have never been there any tip would be highly appreciated:

1. Heeren House (central but looks bit dated);

2. Fenix Inn (how far from center?)

3. Mimosa Hotel (how far from center?)

4. Hallmark Hotel

Thank you for your comments!

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on picking a hotel

Hi Slokii,

Out of your list of hotels, only Hereen House is in the middle of historical site. It is a heritage hotel and you should not miss it if you can get a room.The ambiance and location is unbeatable. The other three are just normal "modern" hotel.

Fenix Inn is in new part of the town which is still only 5 mins walk to A formosa and 15min to Jonker Walk. Mimosa is toward the end of the less attractive part of china town (Jalan Bunga Raya) and Hallmark is at Jalan Portugis 5 mins walk to the other end of Jonker Walk but 20min walk to A Formosa. It is mostly used by local tourists with cars.

Other hotels you could consider is Aldy or better still Hotel Puri.

Melaka historic sites are rather similar to Ljubljana's old town in term of size and closeness (as far as what I have toured there) of each site. Most sites are on both banks of the small river with few bridges linking them(though there are not cute dragon like your capital).

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Slovenia
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on picking a hotel

Thank you Alex,

I see you are very familiar with our capital! :)

Regarding the Melaka hotel, I believe that we will choose Hallmark, as to its budget price and nice(at least on pictures) accommodation.

What is the approx. cost of taxi or tuk-tuk for distance Hotel Hallmark - A Famosa?

Regards.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on picking a hotel

Hi Slokii,

I hope you are not talking the A Formosa Resort and Theme Park which is not a recommended place for westerners. It is 1 hour away and there are better theme park in Singapore to worth the journey.

A Formosa Fort which is the remaining gate of Portugese Fort is 20-30min walk from Hallmark. It may be hard to get a taxi from there. Taxi in Melaka don't go by the meter, so it may cost RM15-RM20 for the 10min ride.

If you look at the map below, you can see Hallmark location between Jalan (street)Kubu and J (short form) Kg Pantai. It is therefore at the edge of china town but it is still walkable to Dutch Square and A Formosa fort if it is not too warm.

There is no Tuk Tuk like Indochina in Malaysia. You can get a trishaw ride but it costs RM40 an hour but you can take minimum half an hour ride. They are actually tourist trishaws which you can only take from Dutch Square to other parts historic centre where traffic is slower and therefore safer to move around.

I recommend walking through china town and Dutch Square

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on picking a hotel

Sorry, the map is here:

malaysia.sawadee.com/malacca/malacca-map.htm

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on picking a hotel

Sorry, the map is here:

malaysia.sawadee.com/malacca/malacca-map.htm

6. Re: Help on picking a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 09, 2010