We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Hotel Tropicavile Malacca

Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Hotel Tropicavile Malacca

I am always driving up to Malacca often and have stayed at Hotel Tropicaville during the 2009 April Good Friday holiday trip. Of course I would have preferred to stay at the bigger establishments, however due to unavailability as was a public holiday high season, I stayed at this establishment as a last resort. Overall, it is your average small room with basic neccesities.

I planned for another Malacca drive up for the 2009 May Labour Day holiday and pre-booked 2 rooms way before the trip. Paid in full through my credit card.

On the day of arrival when I checked in, I was only given one room key. I questioned the reception and said I booked 2 rooms. She told me yes, they are preparing the room and will inform me when it is ready. I sensed a problem as it was alreay 5pm when I checked in. How can the room not be ready? I questioned her again and asked if there was a problem with my booking, she avoided the question and said to us to rest in the room and to give her half hour for the other room.

We thus decided to ok give her half hour and went up to rest. Half hour later, I went down to the recept again and asked if the room is now ready. She said not yet and I asked how long more. She wasnt able to give me an answer and told me she will inform me when it is ready. Come on! How long do you expect us to wait without any idea. I then asked her again what is the exact problem? She told me they were repairing the toilet as there was a repair that needed to be done.

I then went up to my room and decided to have a shower 1st before checking on it again. When I went down again after my shower, the room was still not ready. I questioned her again and this time she told me another set of reasons..... a guest who was supposed to check out still have not done so and they are waiting for him to do so!

Really pissing me off now. I went up and told my fanily to pack and just leave. However, my dad decided to go down and demand for a compensation. This time round, the lady boss was down at the recept. She now admitted that one of her staff made a mistake with the bookings and only reserved one room for us. Instead of giving us sensible options and alternatives, she told us: "Why dont i put 2 spare beds in the room that you are now in? I will refund you the unused room and charge you for 2 extra beds in one room?"

The room is already pathetically small and they still want to put 2 spare beds and charge us for the extra 2 beds because of their mistake??!!!

We told her no and she should either refund all 2 rooms and we find our own accomodation elsewhere or find us another 2 rooms elsewhere with the money that I have already paid her via my credit card.

She went out and found us another room somewhere else and asked if we wanted that room. Of course not! I came on a holiday and she wanted me to split my family up into 2 different locations. Who in the right frame would do that!

My family and i then packed our bags and demanded our money back. However, she said she is unable to give us back in full for one of the room as we have already utilised it. My wife then told her that they have not been upfront with us in the first place. Had they told us there was only one room available, we would not have opted for it and would have gone elsewhere. HOwever, that wasnt the case, and they tried to cover it up. My wife then tried to reason to her and told her what was the right thing to do. However, she did not dare step out of her pathetic office and look my wife in the eye. I guess she knew what she was doing wasnt right. However, she was greedy for the room money and did not think of the future business return if she had better customer service and good references.

To all potential Malacca travellers. Beware of this hotel! I will not recommend this hotel for the pathetic service and lies instead of being upfront. There are plentyful better hotels closer to the main central and malls compared to this if you make your arrangements early. My take on this is that Malacca is a great place for food, shopping and massages. However, I rather forego Malacca if all other hotels are full and Hotel Tropicaville is the only ones with available rooms.

1. Re: Beware Hotel Tropicavile Malacca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 31, 2009