We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

Wappingers Falls, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Topic
Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

We will be travelling from Singapore to Melaka on Friday May 1. Is it advisable to purchase in advance or can we just show up as I noticed there are several buslines plying the route? We will be staying at Carlton Hotel(City Hall MRT) in Singapore. Did not want to waste time doing this or is it close enough to just purchase in advance?

Thanks in advance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

We took the bus from Singapore to Melaka a few months ago. I had difficulty getting any advance tickets. Every company I called just said "first come, first serve"- some were quite rude. The day before we left for Melaka, we went to the Golden Mile complex - however only one company there went to Melaka - Konsortium. They charged us about $48S each which I understand is more than double what it should be. But we were running out of time and were just glad to get tickets at short notice. (they just quoted this price and would not show us this on a brochure etc). From memory they had hourly buses.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

May 1 - public holiday(Labour Day) for Singapore & Malaysia, so tickets are sold out fast or left with the crappy seats at the back of the coach.

You can buy online.

http://www.busonlineticket.com/

Malaysia
Level Contributor
243 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

let you tell you a more pleasant way to get a ticket to melaka or kuala lumpur...

get a cab service from your hotel, tell them you want to get to JB bus station,

there, you can get many operators to melaka

this way there is few advantage

1. the cab fare to jb bus stop is should be S50-60 but that is the whole car, if you got 4 is a great saving

2 the bus fare from jb to melaka is not more than RM40.00 which is about S$ 25

3 is a easy way to get through the immigration in the cab

note: this cab is not the standard cab you grab on the street, this is the malaysian cab so they called.

They cross the strait more than i butter my bread .. hahaa

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

Hi,

I take coach back to Malacca twice a month, so I known the coach companies very well.

Don't take the taxi to JB and then coach to Malacca as the Woodland checkpoint can be a nightmare during 01May long weekend and coaches in JB Larkin are usually as not good as those in Singapore.

You must buy ticket in advance as Malacca is getting ever popular and tickets can be sold out even during weekday these days.

Book on easibook's site which has more coach options than busonline which has only Superior and StarMart (choose this) coach.

Book the VIP or executive which has more space NOW as seats are limited.

www.easibook.com/booking/searchresult.aspx

http://www.busonlineticket.com/

These sites accept credit card payment.

Slovenia
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

Does anyone has any experiences with citiexchange VIP coach (26 seater) - how is with the leg space (i'm 192 cm), any entertainment options available?

Thank you!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

Hi

All VIP coach (26 seaters) had generous legroom.

Better that 1st class seat at any normal airlines

Cheers

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

Hi slokii,

Please note that Citi Holiday/Jebat express bus departs from the bus terminal beside Kovan MRT station north east of city centre (30mins MRT ride from Dhoby Ghaut mrt).

A few bus companies have amble of leg space for you with 45 degree reclinable seats but no entertainment. It is best to take 707 (not bookable online) on weekday (not weekend) in Queen Street which takes the shortest time to reach Melaka at 3.5 hours without delay.

707-travel.com.sg/products_services/express.…

Otherwise book Grassland or Konsortium bus (google them) online. Most buses to Melaka has no video screen unlike the ones to KL.

germany
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

Dear Alex, Please advise the best way to go to Melaka from Singapore for the weekend- 3 of us. I've read somewhere it would take 5hrs to go by bus from Singapore to Melaka.

Another option, we may go to Melaka then Melaka-KL-SIN (we have to catch the flight back from SIngapore).

If we'd like to go by taxis from SIN to Melaka then where to look for the booking.

Many thanks in advance

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

Hi loveathehns2009,

The coach trip from Singapore to Melaka takes 3.5 hours minimum (707 coach due to no meal stop) and usually around 4.5 hours.

There is no taxi to bring you from Singapore without costing a fortune as special license is required to drive passengers across Malaysia and vice versa.

I recommend to try out one of the luxury / vip coach which you cannot find in Europe. Five Stars, Grassland or Konsortium which takes 4-5 hours (during weekend). You can book these coaches online (not five stars) by googling them (e.g. "Grassland coach singapore") or use easibook.com.

germany
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I buy Singapore to Melaka bus tickets in advance?

Thank you Alex for the info. Can I get a cab from Melaka to KL airport to catch a flight to Penang ? Thank you