We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malacca or A'Famosa

Which Melaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
11 posts
Save Topic
Malacca or A'Famosa

I need advice. My children are looking forward to the theme park at A'Famosa and I have just made a reservation at its Condotel of 2 bedroom at a price of RM528++ per nite for 3 days 2 nights from 7-9 Feb 08.We understand that it was a festive season and its a super peak rate plus its limited room available. However, I have not made any confirmation yet as my hubby is now suggesting staying at Malacca instead as he said that the room charge are way too expensive as we just need the room to rest and get change and also he heard some feedbacks from his colleagues about the poor services and etc. As we are driving down from Singapore, guess there wont be any problem going down to Afamosa from Malacca. Can anyone suggest better rate and quality at Malacca? Or should I just confirm and stay at Afamosa, maybe change my room type? This is my first time to Afamosa, how is the theme park? Heard that its entrance fee is expensive too? Please assist me....

Thank you.

Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Malacca or A'Famosa

Oh ya..not forgetting...any recommendation for great place for halal dining for all type of cuisine, especially the Baba Peranakan's Cuisine, heard Melaka is famous for that...

Thanks...

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Malacca or A'Famosa

Sorry if i posted at wrong place....

Want to ask a local experts...

I already booked at Puri Hotel for 2 nights...Hope will be a nice journey...Should I take a city tour...My 66 years old father joining...

Can anyone help on itinerary for 2 days....

Arrival on 12 Feb midnight...

Which places should not to be missed?

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Malacca or A'Famosa

Hi Acidburn-33,

Glad to hear that you managed to get a room at last. Aldy is small but clean, so you should be alright there. Location wise it is better than any other hotels to be honest, right in the middle of everything! If you can, get the RM3 tourist map from tourist office opposite the red clock tower.

I have been looking for the same date for my Thai colleagues from Singapore who want to visit Melaka as well but nothing online available. I have booked them to Twenty Guesthouse (a fantastic place by the way) as they have no children with them.

With regards to nyonya food, I like Ole Sayang and Makko which are both Halal (please double check) restaurants in Jalan Melaka Raya, ask around for direction. However, some people think they are overrated. I don't know why, maybe they are more expensive than others but for me, cheaper than KL prices and definitely spicier (I love spicy) than Penang Baba Nyonya which are sweeter.

My favorites are Itik Tim (i think this is not halal!), otak otak, Ayam Ponteh, sambal petai, ikan goreng sambal and cendol!

www.power98.com.sg/pages/makan_minutes_5.php

Hi Gomed,

You do not need to take any tour at all as Puri is quite well located. You can take the RM2 panorama bus to see most places. Most sites are around the china town (where Puri is) and Dutch Square area. However, do not miss the river cruise or drop by Kampung Mortem along the panorama route.

www.tourism-melaka.com/panoramaroutes.pdf

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Malacca or A'Famosa

Thanks for the infos Alex..Really appreciate that..

How TA have such a helpfull members like u all?

Journey become nicer with all yours help here...

Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Malacca or A'Famosa

Hi AlexMcca, thanks a lot for your advice...glad that TA had such nice, helpful, kind and warm person like you...will surely heed your advice...get the tourist map and definitely will try Ole Sayang and Makko...I just cant wait to visit the "Historical Land of Melaka"...Btw, glad to hear that you managed to book a place for your colleagues from Singapore..hope that they will enjoy their stay too...

*Hi Gomed,

Hope that you have a great stay too..

Enjoy your trip to Melaka...

P/S: Will update my trip in TA soon after Chinese New Year....

kuala lumpur
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Malacca or A'Famosa

I'm totally 100% agree with AlexMcca. I went there last week with my frens. We were very dissappointed with the service. The staff could not answer when we asked them because lack of knowledge and training. The charges are ridiculous during school holiday. we paid RM30 for cowboy town and RM73 for safari & waterworld package.

We had our lunch and dinner outside at Tampin's town. Everything was so damn xpensive in there. A tin of 100 plus will cause you RM3.50. We stayed in the htl resort. The room comes with bfast. We were very shocked the way they serve the bfast in the cowboy town is like in the prison. The food tasteless and cold. Everything is not in order.

The safari was not in proper management. We do not know were to go in there cause there is no direction. The animals are not as many as in normal zoo. The waterworld also dont have many choices of games. The safe guards also not profesional and lazy.

We stayed only 1 nite instead of 2 nites bcoz we found that it's not worth it spending too much for this kind of place.

17. Re: Malacca or A'Famosa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:29 am, September 23, 2009