We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All this talk of food is making me hungry

London
Level Contributor
452 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
All this talk of food is making me hungry

counting the days when i am finally back in Malaysia. It's been at least 10 years since i last ate in Melaka.

Can anyone tell me whether Makko is still good for Peranakan food? I still dreamt about their crispy fish with sambal.

Also where is the best place to eat ikan bakar and nasi lemak? kat mana??? tolong tolong!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All this talk of food is making me hungry

Hi x571

After away for 10 years aboard and missing the local food ,any Peranakan food will taste very delicious

Be more adventurous. try the old and new establishment and let the crowd guide you there .

Tak perlu tolong lah>> ikut aroma HAHAHAHAHA??????

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All this talk of food is making me hungry

Hi X571,

Look like I have had some similar feeling like you missing food back home when living in London for 4 years. However, I made a point to return for Chinese New Year every year when it is cheap to travel.

Anyway, Mako is still good for its Peranakan food although I still like Ole Sayang which is opposite it. There are now few good Nyonya restaurants but Mako and Ole Sayang are still preferred. They are however, very busy with tour group from Singapore and that's when people go for other places like Bayonya and Nyonya Suan.

In Bachang, there is a chinese nasi lemak shop few shop down from the famous Taiwanese Noodle shop which serves excellent nasi lemak with delicious small dishes. If you have not tried the Taiwanese noodle, do so as it is more delicious than few of the beef noodle or prok rib noodle I have tried in Taipei.

Further down the road past Honda motor, at the end of the shop houses, there is a road side Malay store serving cheap nasi lemak from 3-7pm. It is always sold out toward 7pm, so imagine how popular it is.

Ikan Bakar, there are many options, Umbai is most commercial and expensive although it has been reconstructed very nicely resembling a floating fish village.

Alai is closest to town (20mins) and is cheap and clean place. Try to arrive before 6.30pm to enjoy the sunset and river.

Sari Alai Ikan Bakar, Kg Alai, Melaka

Location: Km 9, Kg Alai, Muar-Melaka trunk rd. From Melaka town, turn right at 8.9km at the bridge beside Crystal Development.

Phone: 06-268-0926.

The small packet of Nasi lemak on this ikan bakar store is also to die for!

London
Level Contributor
452 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All this talk of food is making me hungry

Terima kasih banyak-banyak. Tak sabar nak makan ikan bakar dan nasi lemak.

4. Re: All this talk of food is making me hungry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, September 14, 2009