We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night market & parking / driving information

SG
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Night market & parking / driving information

hello..

We will be driving to KL but passing through Melaka on either Friday or Sunday (we're still trying to confirm our dates).

need to check a couple of things :

1. is the jonker night market open on friday and sunday evenings? what time do most of the food stalls start to close?

2. Our vehicle is a non-Malaysian car. Arriving in melaka around 7-8pm or so, but will depart for KL that same night after dinner around jonker street.

Are we required to put parking coupons on Friday and Sunday nights? How much is the parking charges per half hour or per hour? Can we purchase parking coupons at petrol stations? Are the parking coupons purchased for use in Melaka usable in KL?

3. Assuming we park along or around Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Loke, which is the easiest / fastest way to get back to the highway to go to KL?

Thank you in advance.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

Hi,

The Jonker Walk night market is open from 6pm - 12pm every Friday to Sunday. Most stalls will start to close around 11pm especially on Friday and Sunday if business is slow. On Saturday, some stalls may open until 12.30am - 1am

Parking ticket not required after 6pm (40 sens half hour, 60 sens 1 hour, Monday to Sunday till 8am- 6pm) but if you park behind Jln Tun Tan Cheng Lok (Jalan Kota Laksamana) which is the best place (to avoid theft or accidental crash from reckless driver in narrow street), pay the guard RM2 for the night. KL has no coupon parking system, either pay the guard (usually around RM3-5) or park free of charge at night.

From Jalan Kota Laksamana (which in the following map is the road near the seaside), you can either turn left (to go to the flyover to Mahkota which can lead you to Air Keroh Highway) or turn right until you reach the cross road where Jalan Ong Kim Wee at the opposite side of the cross road is the one way road to go to Mahkota flyover.

Please Take a left turn at this crossroad without stopping at the traffic light to go along Jalan Tengkera until you reach the first right turn to Jalan Gajah Berang. From there go all the way straight until you come to Bachang which you can use the Tesco sign to get to Melaka Sentral and Air Keroh highway.

hoteltravel.com/malaysia/…central_map.htm

SG
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

thank you very much alexmcca.

the information is really useful.. i'll have to chew on it though..

at least i have some idea how to get back on the highway :)

appreciate all the help!

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

Hi Jill,

No problem, feel free to ask any question here or via private message which is the new TA feature.

To make the map I referred simpler, if you take the road Kota Laksama which is next to Tan Cheng Lok and turn left at the cross road with Jln Ong Kim Wee and keep right, you will see Jalan Gajah Berang road which is the first right turn and go along the long road which on the map comes to meet Jalan Hang Tuah at the far north east of the map. You will see sign to go to Tesco.

Note that before Tesco/ Melaka Sentral, the KL highway sign is for those taking the old trunk road / newly built Alor Gajah / Simpang Empat toll.

I'm very glad to help out on the confusing Melaka roads which the government has helped to improve traffic flow but compound non local drivers and cost business reduction due to one way parking.

SG
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

hi alex..

need your help again..

i managed to borrow a malaysian street directory from a friend..

but still a little confused :)

just to let you know that the previous time i drove to melaka, i kind of got lost for about 45 minutes trying to get back on the highway to JB

worst still, i cannot speak malay and most people i asked for help with directions could not really speak english :)

just to go through your suggestions again :

1. option A

"From Jalan Kota Laksamana (which in the following map is the road near the seaside), you can either turn left (to go to the flyover to Mahkota which can lead you to Air Keroh Highway)"

assume i'm on jln kota laksa,

- i turn left onto jln syed abdul aziz

- is that the road that is running along the coast and has some flyover before we see mahkota parade on the left side of the highway

- where do i go from this point?

- the road seems to connect straight to jln bukit senjuang, jln parameswara on left and jln ujong pasir on right

- are there any signs clearly pointing the way to the air keroh highway?

2. Option B

"you take the road Kota Laksama which is next to Tan Cheng Lok and turn left at the cross road with Jln Ong Kim Wee and keep right, you will see Jalan Gajah Berang road which is the first right turn and go along the long road which on the map comes to meet Jalan Hang Tuah at the far north east of the map. You will see sign to go to Tesco. "

assume i'm now on jalan gajah berang, and jln hang tuah is now on my right.

- am i correct to say that i am to continue straight onto jalan tun perak and keep going along the road until it joins up to jalan bachang?

- keep going along jln bachang until we meet jln tun razak on the right and go onto jln tun razak

- from jln tun razak, will the road join up to the north-south highway to KL directly without any turns?

i need to clarify the last statement :

"Note that before Tesco/ Melaka Sentral, the KL highway sign is for those taking the old trunk road / newly built Alor Gajah / Simpang Empat toll."

- i'm confused about which sign to look out for.. which highway sign should i follow? and which direction (besides the signs that say KL) should i be travelling towards? (ie, the next few towns that are shown on the highway signs)

thank you very much in advance!!

jill

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

Hi Jill,

Sorry, there are also easier options now that I have found a good map to give direction from.

http://www.melaka.net/map_of_melaka.htm

Assuming you know how to get to Hereen Street (from Jln Laksaman where Stadhuys is and over the bridge), you turn into the first left lane , then you are in Taman Kota Laksamana where there is ample space and paid parking. Park in one of the places and pay RM2 even in open side road (as the guard will come to ask money from you and issue a receipt).

When you leave, you can get back to Hereen Street (Jalan Tun Tang Cheng Lock) by turning left, and go straight until you reach the second right turn where Jalan Kubu is.

Without the night market, you can turn right again into Jonker Street but now you have to go straight along Jalan Kubu until you pass the first traffic light at the junction. Go straight and turn right into Jalan Portugis. Then shortly, turn left into Jalan Masjid (Hotel Hallmark on left side) and right to Jln Kampung Hulu which becomes Jln Kampung Pantai.

You cross the bridge and turn left into Jln Bunga Raya. Go straight along Jln Bunga Raya until you come to the traffic light where Jln Bunga Raya meets Jln Munshi Adbullah. You go straight (you can see the tall Renassiance Hotel on your right hand in the distance). The road will join you back to Jln Bendara where Southern Hospital in on your left and City Bayview on your right. This is the road you use to get into and out of the old town from Air Keroh highway.

With regard to your question 1, yes, turning left will lead you to Jln Syed Abdul Aziz (just know the name now). If you continue the flyover bypassing Mahkota, you will come to the end of Melaka Raya. The road is more complicated from here. Although, I saw sign of Air Keroh Highway along the way, I'm afraid some sign is missed out during turning, you get more lost.

Question 2: Yes, the straight road becomes Jln Bachang at the intersection of Jalan Gajah Berang and Jalan Hang Tuah (you cannot turn into Hang Tuah from Gajah Berang as it is one way. Go straight until you pass first traffic light where Tan Chong Motor Show House is on your left. Go straight and keep to the right side of your road as you need to turn into the second traffic light on your right to Jalan Tun Razak. If you don't turn right here and go straight, you will go to Jln Malim and this can lead you to Alor Gajah toll after 30 mins.

Back to after the second traffic light turn, you come to the big cross road traffic light, you take the right turn again and this will bring you to the highway where shortly you will see Tesco on your right and Melaka Sentral on your left at the second big cross road where there is a new and stylist pedestrian bridge linking the bus station to Tesco across the road.

You have to keep straight until you see the flyover but takes left turn down the flyover which will bring you back to the rpad where the big Mosque/ General Hospital are where you first come from.

Try to print out the map and draw the route with pencil. Driving at night is usually more difficult but I hope you have better picture now.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions as I definitely hope you know Malacca roads better now.

SG
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

thx alex..

yes, i think tomorrow's road trip will be a challenge since i've never attempted to maneuver melaka's road at night..

thanks for the new instructions..

i'm not sure how well sign posted the roads are..

i've been to melaka quite a number of times but i don't see signs that are well posted

sometimes, i can go past a few roads and not actually realise that i've already past the ones i've been looking out for

one more clarification..

“You cross the bridge and turn left into Jln Bunga Raya. Go straight along Jln Bunga Raya until you come to the traffic light where Jln Bunga Raya meets Jln Munshi Adbullah. You go straight (you can see the tall Renassiance Hotel on your right hand in the distance). The road will join you back to Jln Bendara where Southern Hospital in on your left and City Bayview on your right. This is the road you use to get into and out of the old town from Air Keroh highway. “

-i'm a bit puzzled.. you mentioned that we'd be on jln munshi abd, and then we turn off onto jln bendahara to get to the air keroh highway? am i correct?

- i cannot really see the arrows clearly, but after looking at my own map, i'm wondering if i will continue onto jln laksamana (near christ church?) and then to quayside which will then lead me to jln merdeka?

- but from there, i don't see where the highway is.. oh dear..

maybe when i get there, it'd be easier..

am i travelling in the direction of muar?

do i just look out for the sign air keroh highway?

SG
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

thx alex..

yes, i think tomorrow's road trip will be a challenge since i've never attempted to maneuver melaka's road at night..

thanks for the new instructions..

i'm not sure how well sign posted the roads are..

i've been to melaka quite a number of times but i don't see signs that are well posted

sometimes, i can go past a few roads and not actually realise that i've already past the ones i've been looking out for

one more clarification..

“You cross the bridge and turn left into Jln Bunga Raya. Go straight along Jln Bunga Raya until you come to the traffic light where Jln Bunga Raya meets Jln Munshi Adbullah. You go straight (you can see the tall Renassiance Hotel on your right hand in the distance). The road will join you back to Jln Bendara where Southern Hospital in on your left and City Bayview on your right. This is the road you use to get into and out of the old town from Air Keroh highway. “

-i'm a bit puzzled.. you mentioned that we'd be on jln munshi abd, and then we turn off onto jln bendahara to get to the air keroh highway? am i correct?

- i cannot really see the arrows clearly, but after looking at my own map, i'm wondering if i will continue onto jln laksamana (near christ church?) and then to quayside which will then lead me to jln merdeka?

- but from there, i don't see where the highway is.. oh dear..

maybe when i get there, it'd be easier..

am i travelling in the direction of muar?

do i just look out for the sign air keroh highway?

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

Hi Jill,

Thanks for continuously coming to Melaka. I sometimes pity how much Singaporeans have to put up with the messy roads and general messiness of the country, haha. Without almost 10 millions of your country's visitors, our forien tourist figure is only 7 millions!

I love Melaka but I have been staying in Singapore for the past few days and visiting from time to time, I wonder why nobody in Malaysia bothers to study road system in Singapore.

Anyway, back to your questions. At the cross road of Jln Bunga Raya and Jln Munshi, you can only turn left or go straight because Munshi Abdullah is now a one way traffic. Do you see the small red arrow poitning at the end of Jln Bunga Raya curving to join Jln Bendara on the right hand.

Your second question, it is complicated to get to Air Keroh highway after the one way traffic system from Jalan Merdeka (road in front of Mahkota). You won't be able to get to Muar or Air Keroh easily from here. Although there are many highway sign from Mahkota, you have to go around Bukit China (the chinese graveyard hill) to get to Bukit Baru (where post office is) and then only Air Keroh where Jusco is. There is too many turning here.

Try to stick to Jln Tun Tan Cheng Lock - Kubu - Bunga Raya - Bendahara way (may have slow traffic due to night market ) I have told you or the Gajah Berang - Jln Bachang - Tun Perak (less traffic).

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

Hi Jill, just on the note about parking coupons, in KL, parking coupons are practised, whereby coins are inserted in a machine, where you enter your car numeric registration numbers, then a coupon is printed out, and this must be displayed on your dashboard.It is RM0.50/hr.

If time had exceeded, or no parking coupon, a summon can be issued costing RM80.00, though is compoundable to RM40.00(got one before myself).

One state parking coupons cannot be used in another state, different town/city councils, or even different town councils-e.g. if I am in Petaling Jaya, I get a parking coupon of MPPJ(which is the city coucil), then I decide to go to Subang Jaya which is now under jurisdication of MPSJ, I have to purchase a parking coupon of MPSJ.

I trust earlier thread has given you driving direction into JOnker and out back to highway for KL. Sincerely in Malacca, I only know three roads name (Jalan Bendahara-because my uncle still runs his dental surgeon practise there, Jonkers, and Heeren), in getting around, landmark buildings and road orientation bearings.

What I do actually, is park my car in Equatorial hotel, then take a trishaw ride into JOnker/Heeren area (about RM10); then from there, I get onto the old road to Muar, and find my way through inner roads and come to Ayer Keroh interchange, before Jusco, where I take a right and I am approaching Ayer Keroh toll plaza.

When feel liking it, sometimes had walked from Equatorial hotel to the Red Square, and across into Malacca "Chinatown"(or would I say Straits Chinese town).

Are you traveling around Good Friday, then do expect Malacca to be rather crowded as Singaporeans are known to travel to Malacca around this time.Make it Sunday, then only head to Ayer Keroh Toll Plaza after 2200hrs, when less people heading out of Malacca.So after dinner, stroll around Jonker/Herren.

10. Re: Night market & parking / driving information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:25 am, August 29, 2009