We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
140 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Just back from our 3rd trip to Goa, we've only stayed in the Horizon Hotel in Calangute when we've been so thought better the devil you know.

I hope you're sitting down reading this because you're going to be shocked by what you read.

Nobody got their bag snatched.

Nobody tried to rip us off.

The Russians didn't bother us in the slightest, in fact, some of them were nice!!!!

Nobody got Delhi belly or ill in any way.

The food was as good if not better than before.

The hotel was spotlessly clean.

The new airport is fantastic.

Ok fair do's I was lying about the last one because they really seem to have made a real effort to transfer that pure incompetance they had at the old place, to the new one. But everything else was absolutely great, in fact it was our best trip ever.

I know some people have bad luck and it's good to report that on here so people are aware, but just for balance I want to make it clear that those kind of things are rare. We never felt unsafe or intimidated and basically had an absolutely brilliant time and met some lovely people.

I hardly ever see the Horizon Hotel in Calangute mentioned on here, and I really thought we'd be the only Brits there, but the place was 75% Brits and it was a real family atmosphere. Clean sheets and towels every day and basic but spotlessly clean rooms. Bar prices the same or less than outside bars and the food is absolutely to divine, as good as the restaurants everyone loves. I feared the worst with the wifi when it was £6 for the 2 weeks. But it was as good as our wifi at home, totally perfect for Facetime which is usually the problem on holiday so we didn't use a phone once. We spoke to several couples who've been going for 20 years and they said it's the best place they've stayed on balance for what you get so we'll be sticking here in future.

So if any first timers or even veterans are worried about how it's gone down the pan, don't be, it hasn't. The place is still absolutely fantastic and we're already planning our next visit.

Edited: 2:15 am, March 18, 2014
Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

What you have just done is ruined any chance of booking again next year as people will read this review and book up for it early Lol.

Better book it now then or it will be full

Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Lizzie

If you do get Delhi belly, imodium won't touch it.

Either go to pharmacy and tel them what hapenning ( coming out either end or both) or take the homeopathic remedy China instantly stops it.

Pontefract, United...
Destination Expert
for Kos
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Russ we find the yellow bombs work brilliantly from most chemists their

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Lizzie, after spending a small fortune of our hard earned money on all that Jungle fever stuff (other brands available) we have found Superdrugs extra strong deet spray is fab for mozzies, (well not for them, actually) & should you do get a bite or 6, then a drop of tea tree oil does it for us. Never ever suffered from Delhi belly in our 7 times in Goa, but sadly did find it in El Gouna Egypt, very very very poorly, as Russ said Imodium won't touch it. Hand sanitizer always useful anywhere, M&S lemon one is lovely.

Sure you'll have a wonderful time!

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Imodium is just a brand name for the same tablets you get in Goa - Loperamide hydrochloride, so imodium will work.

It is however cheaper to buy loperamide hydrochloride tablets in Goa, than buying Imodium in UK.

England
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Thanks everyone my suitcase is now much lighter!

Runcorn, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

Hi Hookan Thank you for such a great holiday report, looks like you had a great time. It is a refreshing change to the many moaning people on here that seem to like to moan about anything and everything. We also met some great people, had some great food and had the best of times.

southampton
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

i'm confused! what is all this about a new airport? we went mar 2013 and it was the same airport as we have always flown to(6 times). i know we didn't go this year, but have they built a new airport since 03/2013?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

It's a new terminal, using the same runway as the old terminal.

I'm surprised you didn't notice it - massive building towards the right hand side as you approach the old terminal.

Lots of threads about it - especially now it has opened.

Ashton-in-Makerfield...
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Just Back!!! We were Shocked!!!

We got back from our first (and certainly not the last) trip to Goa and also had an amazing time.

We met some amazing people (including several really freindly Russians).

All the food was gorgeous, some better than others, but none bad.

The Santana Beach Resort was wonderful and the staff couldn't do to much for us (apart from having to wait for our room on the first day when we were tired and wanted to get our head down, but that wasn't their fault as we had to wait for our booking in time).

We even found late drinks when the bars closed at 10:30.

We booked a year ago, and I kept reading all the reports on Trip Advisor, thinking it can't be so good, why do people return year after year. Now I know and we have got the Goa bug too.

We are looking forward to going back to Incredible India as soon as we can.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute