We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cash or travellers cheques

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
cash or travellers cheques

Hi this is our first time to Goa can anyone advise us on which is best cash (sterling) or travellers cheques and do we need to inform our bank if we intend to use cash cards

many thanks Sue r

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cash or travellers cheques

I prefer the security of travellers cheques, though my partner always takes cash.

Yes you should let you bank know if you are planning on using your debit or credit cards in Goa.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cash or travellers cheques

thanks very much for that

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cash or travellers cheques

both easy to change anywere in goa some places give 1 INR less for TC but not all

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,476 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cash or travellers cheques

If you think it is worth paying for the extra safety of TC's go for it or take sterling cash as long as you do not exceed more than the equivalent of $5000 US each, about £3000

Bangalore
Level Contributor
41 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cash or travellers cheques

Use your card to withdraw cash. Unless you stay in a good hotel - all hotels and restaurants in Goa only take cash - which makes it harder to lug money around. We stayed 3rd week of December and no restaurant or hotel took card - all wanted cash!!

Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cash or travellers cheques

I take some cash, and then use my card for the rest, there are a lot of ATM's

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cash or travellers cheques

I started to say it depends where the OP is staying as to whether there are a lot of ATMs but then realised Sue is probably staying in Calangute as she posted on the Calangute forum. Where we stay in Cavelossim there was only one working ATM in February.

Edited: 8:48 am, January 04, 2014
Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cash or travellers cheques

When we travel to Goa we always bring cash nice new English £20 & £50 notes loads of places to exchange and you avoid daft bank charges when using your card all the time. If you run out of cash then we just use our card for the last few days then not so many charges !! Enjoy Goa !!!

Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cash or travellers cheques

As Michael says

Take nice looking notes if your going with cash.

If your going to use TC then remember to take a copy of your passport with you.

We take cash as we feel we have a secure place to keep it.

The last few times we have loaded a ICICI card with £600 just in case the rate dropped.

It hasn't worked out well for the rate but the convenience of the card was good and once you've activated it at an ICICI ATM you can use it in any ATM.

We did notice that there were places offering better exchange rates in Calangute so if your staying in that way taking cash would offer the maximum return.

Just remember to check what your given carefully, some have said that some places are a bit lax in the adding up stakes

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
201 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cash or travellers cheques

We use Halifax clarity card. No fees for withdrawing cash and great rate too. We were there November/December and got 1.02. Just don't use HDFC bank as they charge 200 R per withdrawal.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute