We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dirty calangute !!!!

burnley
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
dirty calangute !!!!

just got back from a 3 week trip to goa. my 5th trip so i know the score on the squallor, dirt etc. but honestly calangute is disgusting !!! we stopped in the SOMY RESORT which is adequate and we happy with. the problem starts when you walk out. due t eating way too much and same with drink we like too walk the mile or so too the beach shack on BAGA in the morning. honestly ive never seen so much filth. its a shame that the locals and tourist indians find it accectable too throw anything on the floor. we saw nappies, condoms, bottles . left over food, etc. when you get too the bus terminal it gets worse. im sorry too say that calangute will never see me again. if you go 1 mile down the road too CANDOLIM its like a different country. very clean with better shops , restaurants etc.. so too sum it up when you come out of the SOMY RESORT turn left lol.

Srinagar, India
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

yeah...although i am indian...i feel angry by the fact other indian tourists are making mess in calangute/baga....

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

the the government have addressed the issue by lowering the number of sunbeds ?????????????????????????????????????

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

That's why we don't stay in Calangute!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

That's why we don't stay there either.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

Calangute has always been scruffy but over recent years has got much worse. And the tourism dept want to bring 5 star hotels to the area - I don't think so. Its a shame to tourist police don't start to clear the beaches/roads of rubbish instead of clearing the beach of sunbeds.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

What with that and the beach stinking of petrol fumes and exhaust emissions, it's not a desirable place to stay is it ???

BOB...

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

Totally agree Bob but gotta be careful on what I say as having witnessed first hand the people who discard rubbish on the beach without a care in the world.

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
983 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

My very first two weeks years ago we were based in calangute but spent most of our time off and away from the roads as it was filthy. Now we base ourselves in candolim and whenever we drive through calangute we thank our lucky stars we aren't stopping there as its worse now.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

Calangute beach has become a scape goat of sorts. All the crowd goes there, and leaves other beaches alone, and relatively clean.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dirty calangute !!!!

I don't like Calangute...it's a sh.thole...filthy...Traffic fumes...I could go on..Candolim gets my vote.

Get answers to your questions about Calangute
Recent Conversations