We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

victor exotica thomson holidays

Which Calangute hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
567 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
victor exotica thomson holidays

Thomson brochures are out today and i was origianally going to book the silla goa for next november til i spotted the victor exotica in candolim. Any views would be most appreciated as i am getting more baffled by the min, please help. many thanks

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,875 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

Unfortunately, you're always going to be confused by travellers reviews as they are subjective rather than objective.

What one person considers acceptable, another person will find that they simply cannot live with it.

Some reviewers don't even restrict their comments and scores to the actual hotel they are supposed to be reviewing.

I read one review about Sunshine Park Hotel in Candolim and someone had given it 2/10. All they said about the hotel was that it was clean but basic and the staff were nice.

Then they went on to complain about the hassle from taxi drivers, beach sellers, the fact that there was a large boat on the beach, the red dust etc etc.

Basically they HATED the resort.

Even if someone says it's a fab hotel and someone else says it's the pits, it's still only their opinion.

I guess you need to trawl all reviews for the VE and really read between the lines.

As regular visitors to Goa, we expect our hotel to be clean, to be kept clean by the room boys and for most things (such as electricity) to work most of the time.

We stayed at the VE in Feb 2003 and it was great. Since then, it seemed to go All Inclusive.

AFAIK, this hotel is now used quite a bit by Russian tourists - certainly in Nov 2007/Feb 2008 there seemed to be lots of Russians & Eastern Europeans staying there as we walked past to our hotel.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,446 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

We stayed at the Victor Exotica in November 05 on b&b and for what we paid I thought it was excellent value for money. Didn't use the pool much as it's in the centre of the hotel block and didn't get much sun but we went to the beach every day. Liked the location at the bottom end of Candolim so not too busy but within easy reach of bars and restaurants. The room was clean and spacious. I thought for a 3 star it was fine though I wouldn't want to stay there AI.

Thanks for the info re the brochures being out - I can start looking for new year 09/10 now!

London
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

Friends of ours went to VE on an AI basis and had an absolutely fantastic time - they said they couldn't fault it at all! We are going to Dona Sylvia AI. Although it's AI we will still eat out some of the time. We didn't pay a great deal extra for AI and I'm sure we'll get our monies worth just having a few beers at the pool! I'm just one of those people who love the AI's!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
567 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

Thanks for replies just booked the ve 1500 all inc for us both nov 16th 2009. Cant wait counting down already.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

Hi there.

The wife and I stayed at the Victor Exotica in April this year. We booked through First choice and it turned out to be good value for money. There was a bit of a mix up with our room type booking, but I think that was more down to the First Choice brochure phraseology rather than the hotel. The rooms were a bit cramped but OK to use as a base. We don't spend much time in the room on holiday anyway so the lay out doesn't matter to us. Shower was OK and our air con worked well (essential at 43C)!

We were all inclusive and thought the food was excellent. We like curry and other Asian dishes, that was one of our considerations for visiting Goa. Some people were whinging about the constant Asian food variety!! Would you believe it, curry in Goa......terrible!! They had other food choices also, but mainly Goan quisine. It'll help if you like that type of food! The AI drink package was good...we were merrily sloshed in the hotel on some evenings before venturing out. Just don't expect posh named brands...Bacardi, Smirnoff etc.. Drink Honey Brandy....it doesn't taste like Brandy, but is nice all the same! The swimming pool was small and a tad crowded at times, there was a bit of a (German type) sunbed reserve thing going on every day! I think the British are as good at that practice now as the Germans were! The pool is surrounded by the hotel room blocks, so the sun is limited at certain times of the day due to shaded areas! We spent most of the time down the beach, but I heard the "food moaners" moaning about that also! The safety deposit boxes are by reception and they have a system where you need your key and theirs to open it together. All openings of the boxes are logged in a register also. Very secure system I thought. The rooms were cleaned to a fairly good standard daily. Strange shaped towel sculptures on the bed daily........I'm sure we had a "Honda Prelude" on one day!! The staff in general were very friendly and helpful as a rule. Some "moaners" were complaining about trivial stuff, but it's the same everywhere, if you approach and treat people with respect regardless of the fact that they are there to serve you, then they will provide you with a better service! Be nice....you'll get nice back! All in all a good little hotel with a handy shop and taxi rank outside (£12 for a taxi all day, sort your own trips)! In retrospect we would not have gone all inclusive if we had known previously about the inexpensive way of Goan tourist life. This is no reflection on the Victor Exotica though. We had a great holiday...hope you do also. Hope this proves to be helpful.

Bye now.

S-S

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

Sorry......I forgot to mention the evening entertainment. You've probably noticed that I'm not one to moan about much, but I've got to say that the entertainment on the whole was diabolical!! Saying that, it was also that bad that it made it funny on occasions, especially when you're marinaded in Honey Brandy!! Quite liked the Indian Elvis though......He was my favourite!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
567 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

Thanks singin soldier for the info. We stayed in calangue in 2003 and were intending on going back to that are, but on looking at the brochures today we found that the victor was just 38 pound dearer than eg the silla goa which was b and b so worked out really good. We will eat out as there are some great eating places as you know. Thanks once again

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

You won't be short of other eating places within walking distance of the hotel. Nice coffee/ice cream shop just over the road. They do a Kareoke night on Sundays. We popped over and had a laugh with a lot of expats who live locally. The Supermarket is only a 10 minute walk to your right on the road if you need to shop, and the nearest pharmacy is 5 minutes walk to your left as you hit the main road. The missus had Delhi Belly one day....the chemist sorted her immediately almost! The walk to the beach was down a path straight opposite the hotel over the road....past a load of Goan shack dwellings....cows....cow poo....then the beach. The trek is ok for young or fit people, but a tad taxing in the heat for unfit, elderley or overweight! The sea in Candolim has a huge Russian container ship grounded just off shore. It's been there for ten years and it looks like it's staying for a few more. It's a bit of an eyesore, but if you walk along the beach for 5 minutes and settle in one of the many beach shacks, you won't notice it......much!

9. Re: victor exotica thomson holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Calangute