We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

Denmark
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

I know, this is a returning topic but a young Swedish tourist just got malaria after 2 weeks in Candolim (report from Jan 28 2008). She had not taken any tablets - needless to say (?)

Now, there are several FAKE tablets out there but which one can any of you truly recommend? Any experience with tablets with few or no side-effects?

How can I tell they are not counterfeit? Is there ANYthing I need to look out for and is it "safe" to take the first tablet upon arrival and not 1 day before (that will save me a bunch of Euros!-)

Hope experienced Goa goers can help! Thanx in advance.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11,023 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

You have just told us about a young tourist who has caught malaria.

And now you want to know how to save a bunch of euros.

You go to your doctors and get advice and you pay whatever the cost of the tablets are, simple as that.

i went to our nurse, and she told me, she as surprised at the amount of people who spend over £3000 on a holiday of a lifetime, but they want the cheapest malaria tablets going.

Well i took Malarone and paid £48 off pound for them. but had no side effects and was worth every penny to me.

DON'T TAKE CHANCES WITH YOUR HEALTH

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

I agree with Lenny. BUT if you're going to take proguanil and chloroquine, you need to start taking them a WEEK before you go, not a day, and you need to take them for a MONTH after you get back. They're cheaper than Malarone, and they are what is usually recommended, but obviously the choice is yours. And you can tell they're not counterfeit by buying them in Denmark.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

The Combined Pack of P & C is £17.99 in Boots. Probably cheapest elsewhere but how much is your health worth!!!

Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

Well answered everybody.

I'll just sit here quietly.

BC

Denmark
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

I dunno why I've been so misread, I never suggested that I was going to gamble with my health.

Going to Goa again is not...eh...the holiday of my life, I've been before and took no tablets or had any inoculations. That was because the Travel Aget told me a lie in order to sell tickets. Had I known back then I would have done both.

Now I'm wiser. L

ast time I met lots of (part. UK) tourists took malaria pills bought at the local Goan chemist.

Malarone costs 500 Euro for 3 tablets in my country (Denmark) - obviously I was curious about how to save that kind of money.

I guess I'll go later than planned and have a good think.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

You don't have to take Malarone though. That sounds like a huge cost. Proguanil and chloroquine are generally fine and they cost a fraction of the price.

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

Someone I know got malaria after returning from Goa last year, despite taking the tablets on sale in Goa. He contacted the London School of Tropical Medicine prior to going back this winter, and a pharmacist tested the tablets from Goa he had been taking. They said that the tablets were fine and told him to continue taking them.

My point is that there is so much conflicting information, that nobody really knows what to take. My wife and I used the UK tablets in Goa recently, but both had to stop taking them due to differing side effects. We went back to the Goan tablets and were fine. Incidentally my friend was told by the LSTM that there is no sure fire malaria prevention and that even though you are taking the recommended tablets, you can still get malaria.

Is this another nail in the Goan coffin?

Denmark
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

Phew, I sure feel confused now. Someone just told me that there is a type of malaria that'll kill you no matter what. It comes and goes in both Africa and Asia. No prevention and no cure at all.

And some more disturbing news: Many tablets in Asia are placebo!

Ah, well, I guess I'll go when I have gathered sufficient info about this whole bloody malaria business.

Thnaks for all postings.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

Gynt - I don't know anything about the healthcare system you have in Denmark, but do you not have a doctor or a health centre you could consult? Then you'd get the best information available (always assuming they have up to date information themselves), and you're not relying on hearsay.

And you're right, something like 75 per cent of all fake drugs come from India, so it's right to be wary.

Denmark
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria in Goa...yet again...Jan 2008

@Londdon Goa Girl,

yep, I'm going to see my GP today but he does not know about the maleria spread in India:)

But he'll have access to info I can't as he can call the Tropical Institute in Copenhagen and ask for the best advice.

One thing that bothers me too are the side effects which sound dreadful, I can cope with feeling a bit sick but not endless days without sleep, heavy "runs" to the loo and nightmares + insanity (!!)

Malarone and Lamarin are supposed to be really dangerous...

Get answers to your questions about Calangute