We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget advice needed

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
budget advice needed

Hi

I'm thinking about Goa for a 3 week stay in April and desperately need to know about the cost of living, single mum with 2 boys one will have his b'day there (and me the day after!) How much will 3 weeks eating and drinking cost. We don't want fancy dining except maybe on the Harry's birthday, any advice would be very welcome, thank you

Hayley

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: budget advice needed

hi,

there is no real reason exept(sp),april,going into may is the start of the monsoon season,that time of

year,it will be very hot and humid,its bearable if

you are fairly used to it,but for 2 young? kids

i'm not sure.

but,if you decide to go,eating out is very cheap,for

three,i would think,depending how many drinks you have,and where you go for meals,£10/15,for 3,you can eat for a lot more money,or a lot less,as i said,depends where you go

and what you have,so for three of you,bearing in mind

i don't know ages,drinks etc. i would say about £700,

for the three weeks

but as i said,depends where,what and how much you eat and drink.

if you find a shack you like,tell them there are birthdays to be celebrated,and your son and you will

have a great time,they,the shack waiters,will really

go out of their way to make the day/s special for

you.

whatever,hope you have a great birthday,

cheers

tom

Sheffield
Level Contributor
612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget advice needed

First thing to say is April will be hot and humid, so Air Con is a must for your hotel room.

That said eating out is cheap, our friends came back last Sunday from Colva and spent £600 for their 2 weeks and ate out all the time. So probably £200 or less a week is do-able without being to austere.

There is a web site called bobbysshack.com it has a few pictures of their menu and prices which would give you an idea on prices.

Beach prices tend to be higher than inland, and restaurants range in price more by the setting and atmosphere rather than quality. As a rule all Goan food is good and a bad meal is a rarity wherever you eat.

Birthdays tend to be low key in Goa, as most are not to sure on their actual birthdate. But the shacks will make a fuss of you and your boy, as and when.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget advice needed

There is also a menu with prices on this link bettysgoa.com/…5._BETTYS_PLACE_MENU

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget advice needed

Hi

One thing for shure you will be able to get him a SOOOOOper birthday cake for under 500rps £6 from your nearest Royal Foods Shop.

Chocolate Truffle /Blackforest or suchlike for 250rps a kilo

Sheffield
Level Contributor
612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budget advice needed

Just seen Goanjocks link for Bettys Place/Menu.

Got my taste buds tingling looking at it. Done there boat trip once, but will now definitely give the restaurant a good visit.

Even know now what I am going to order. Please God, let there be Mussels that night.

Had them once in River View, first as a starter, then a few with the main course, then another lot for desert.

The waiter thought I was joking at first, then just crazy. Ah. Happy Days.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budget advice needed

Lol smoking - I'd do the same with desserts given half a chance!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budget advice needed

I had the Tandoori Calamari Rings at the River View as a starter and they were fabulous and the portion was huge,bigger than a main course in the UK

8. Re: budget advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Calangute