We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Goa Today

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
North Goa Today

NORTH GOA TODAY

The once acclaimed “Queen of beaches”Calangute also Baga and Candolim now consist of wall to wall shacks and sunbeds (many unoccupied) which stretch endlessly as far as the eye can see with no space to turn the beds to follow the sun.

The post cards that one sends home are of a Goa long since extinct.

Beach walking at high tide is now impossible as these sunbeds reach right to the high tide line, and many often have to be quickly moved if the tide is a little higher than expected.

Walking at low tide is impossibility in some beach areas owing to Jet Ski and boat trailers with their accessories taking up the beach.

Bathing can be a risky business as unregulated Jet Ski operators drive amongst bathers to pick up clients that their touts walking the sands have found.

Indian tourists roam amongst the beds ogling any female and blatantly photographing any topless bathers (Toplessness incidentally is a violation of the decency laws in India)

These same tourists will spit at will, throw their litter around where ever they are, totally ignoring litter bins, and urinate against any available wall, bush or tree regardless of all and sundry who may be in the vicinity.

Piles of garbage are found amongst the bushes behind the beach shacks and in every available spot.

Prices are way way too inflated and well out of proportion with the rest of the Indian sub continent and non tourist areas of Goa. Beer (Kings) that can be purchased for 13 Rupees at many off licenses is up to 40 or more Rupees in many tourist restaurants and Beach Shacks. Not much by European standards maybe but if you think Rupee one hell of a mark up. Still, that’s what tourists are for to rip off aren’t they.

The expression of “Old is Gold” when used by Goan males of a certain age refers to

The fact that the Goan that finds himself to be a “Toy Boy’ usually expects to have hit the

money jackpot.

Taxi drivers just ignore the regulations passed nearly 12 months ago that electronic meters must be used. They charge extortion rates to all and sundry.What are the repercussions if they get caught.NOTHING.They will just gang up and cause an “agitation”as the local press describe it and the police and government back down.

Room rental prices have hit the roof. The reason given is that Indian tourists will pay the asked price as they are now big spenders. Reality is that the price is met by up to 8 Indian tourists sleeping on mattresses on the floor in a room that by European expectations is suitable for two.

Professional beggars regularly accost anyone who is obviously non Indian, and upon being told (In Hindi) to get a job will inform you that begging pays more. Just remember that the 100 rps that you in mistaken pity give them (Oh it’s only a quid) is as much as many local WORKING PEOPLE earn for one days work.

The once renown greenery of the tourist areas is fast disappearing and Goa ‘s northern tourist belt of Baga,Calangute and Candolim is becoming a concrete jungle and getting more like any other Indian City with over crowding.

Power cuts are a frequent occurrence as very little thought has been put into infrastructure with buildings springing up haphazardly. Planning regulations, what a laugh. This is a country that talks the talk but bribes prevail.

The poor condition of many roads, and lack of footpaths, cause one to take ones life into ones hands walking on the road, considering the bad standard of Indian driving, Still this is a third world country is the response.One in which incidentally the rich get very rich and the needs of the other end of the social scale are ignored.

These observations are not those of a two week tourist that has visited this continent once or twice but those of someone with many years of visits now residing here for most of the year and one who has seen the adverse changes that have taken place and are taking place.

All and every comment written here has in one form or another and at one time or another been a subject in the local paper the HERALD.

We are all aware of what tourists and tourism have done to Spain. Well it’s repeating its self here.

English all day breakfasts and Sunday roast dinners are replacing many of the traditional dishes.

In tourist areas.

Why do I live here??? Well the climate is definitely preferable to the English one(Except leading up to and during the rains).Political correctness has not yet reached these parts, and I visit the tourist area as least as possible and certainly do not pay the extortionate tourist prices for my provisions or meals.

wales
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Goa Today

i will swap with u

chippenham, wilts
Level Contributor
797 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Goa Today

me too,

suggest you move as you obviously don't like it there.

personally i love the place and had many nice walks up calangute beach towards baga, o.k. you might have to step around a few things at the beach steps end but after that, no problems.

spend a winter in england again,i think you won't be so pessamistic then :-)

steve

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Goa Today

Hi Bruahy

As you live there where would you suggest would be a nice change out of the calangute area for a day or two to see a few sights and have a good meal and a few drinks whilst we are there for two weeks at the end of April.

Also it will be our first time and you haven't made it sound too welcoming, we decided on Goa because we are sick of the same old holidays each year to Spain, Greece etc and wanted something not so commercialized but I'm sure we will enjoy it anyway.

Sharon

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Goa Today

I agree totally with the poster. Why do I go back year after year? Because I love it even with all the problems.

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Goa Today

HI Goansoon

Would you be able to suggest anywhere off the beaten track i want to soak up as much as i can within the two weeks we are there, also its my boyfriends 40th in the second week any ideas of somewhere special or even just fun.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Goa Today

baga / calungute are overdeveloped and Indian ideas on safe driving are to pray to ones god then drive as fast as possible..........well you were meant to die then it will happen! :)

tourism has pushed prices in Goa to silly levels. Please never give money to beggars, dont tip (unless really good service) and always haggle hard for prices eg some twat tried to charge me for a lock 350 rupees. I paid 80 rupees!

tourism alwasy corrupts!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
391 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Goa Today

Am going to Goa on Sunday and very much looking forward to it and have got to say that if I worked as hard as it sounds they do, and saw so many 'rich' (in comparison) people around I would probably give it a go too. They are only trying to be good business men, and I'm guessing tourism has probably made their cost of living rise too. You can't really blame them for being money savy, they probably have families to support. At least they are working and not begging (which sounds as if that is a problem).

8. Re: North Goa Today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Calangute