We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Injections???

suffolk
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Injections???

could someone plz advise me on what is needed for a week trip to goa?

I hve phoned my doctors who keeps telling me the nurse will phone me back and i hear nothing.

Just wondering what we need and what the cost is please.

thanks

Denise

x

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Injections???

Hi Denise

I had Hep A, Polio / Typhoid, Tetanus and took Malaria tablets. However it's best to check with your GP for the up to date advice as things can change. I don't think I paid for any of the injections but it's a year ago now so it might have changed. You can buy the Malaria tablets for Goa from the pharmacy but again check which ones you need. Ours cost about 16 pounds for 2 weeks. If you don't have any luck with the nurse try your local Boots, they might be able to tell you.

uk
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Injections???

Hi. We are going to Cavelossim in November. I had my jabs a couple of weeks ago, typhoid, polio booster, hepatitis A and Hepatitis B which apparently is new recommendation for this year. I must say it isn't compulsory and as I was ill for 3 days after having them I didnt have the follow up on the nurses recommendation. You need tetanus as well if you havent had one recently and to take malaria tablets. Malarone are not recommended for Goa according to my nurse.

I hope this helps. Carolynne

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Injections???

Thanks for the update about Hep B. Has anybody else been advised to have this? All my other injections are up to date so I thought I could get away without having any more this year but maybe not!

wales united kingdom
Level Contributor
250 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Injections???

Hi

No I wasn't recommended hep b unless doing something dodgey. I was told by boots pharmacy that malerone tabs are stronger than we need but have less side effects. They are only available on prescription.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Injections???

Polio is endemic all over India, and Hep B is a real problem. Make sure that your polio immunity is up to date. My doc also checked my immunity for Hep A & B, then recommended I get the combination shot.

At the moment there is a real problem with Dengue Fever in northern India -- nearly 600 people have died in the last month.

There is no preventitive action to take, except good use of mosquito nets and anti-mosquito creme or spray.

Be aware of the symptoms -- flu-like feelings, similar to Malaria. Do NOT take aspirin against the symptoms, instead paracetomal is recommended. SEE A DOCTOR locally if you start to feel feverish, achey, and so on.

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Injections???

You have to watch with malerone as a small percentage of people suffer a reaction which affects the pigmentation in the skin, leading to horrendous sunburn. I would check before taking them.

zar
goa
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Injections???

hi friend you dont need anything just your suncream thats it you will be fine,

regards

nick

Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Injections???

Hiya

Just been to the docs for a typhoid booster.

I asked about Hep B as I read about here and he said Hep B is spread through contaminated blood, or dirty needles or sexual contact and he didn't think it neccessary for us although we could have it if we wanted. We gave it a miss...

Jeff

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Injections???

Don't think I'll bother with Hep B if that's the case as I'll only be sleeping with my other half and I hate needles! Will double check with my GP nearer the time though just in case of any changes. Thanks for the update.

london
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Injections???

Hi Denise,

I had my injections on Monday and had Tetinus, Polio and Hepititus. These were free of charge. The nurse advised me to get Malaria tablets and start taking them one week before travel which you can buy at a chemist. I must tell you that the day after the injections i had dead arms and a fever..... so good luck!!!!