We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

Hereford UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

We are having our first holiday in Goa, staying at the Tamarind in Anjuna.

What is the best way to do holiday money?

Are there any cash machines available in the area? This would be our preferred way of obtaining cash, or do we need to take travellers cheques?

Any advice appreciated

Mervyn

Anjuna Market
Flea & Street Markets
Explore Water Sports
Scuba & Snorkeling, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Parasailing & Paragliding, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

Hi,

If it your first time, you will presumably be getting to the hotel by the tour operators free transfer bus so will not need anything for that. The hotel can change travellers cheques for you - I would recommend £30-40 only when you get there as their rate is not that great so this will tide you over until you get out and about a bit. We usually go into baga or candolim/clangute and change travellers cheques while we are travelling about. We have stayed at the Tamarind 2 years on the trot but have not actually been into Anjuna to change money yet. I don't think there is an ATM there, just places you can change TCs. We are going again this year so may bump into you at the Tamarind- when are you going?

worcetershire
Level Contributor
209 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

Nation wides flexi card might be the best to take to Goa but when I asked at my local branch for details they told me that I would need to move the majority of my banking to them or put quite a large deposit into the account before they would issue the flexi card.Too much hassle in my opinion

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

Thats strange itchy

We opened ours with a £1

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

hi itchy

our son opened one only last week with nothing just filled in the form,tell them they are wrong or go to another branch

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

Cash machines charge pretty much the same rate all over the place. We just get from the airport cash machines. Get enough to pay for the stay and pay off the hotel right away, this way you cannot loose it.

worcetershire
Level Contributor
209 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

Sorry folks

Have just checked nationwides web site. The flexi account is the account that has a list of conditions you need to comply with. There is a CASH CARD account that appears to be the one you can open with just £1.

My local branch didnt offer me the information for this account despite explaining that I wanted an account for withdrawing cash whilst abroad.

Will try again. Thanks

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

Well im looking at a Flex account card in my hand right now and we defo opened it with only a £1..and havent added anything to it since before March..

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

hi

badgerlad is correct my son as i said opened his without any ,to save for goa,i only used a £5 when i first opened mine,and yes they are both flex accounts,and for our american friend no they dont all charge the same the british nationwide flex account chrges nothing in europe and just 1% in india but gives a better rate on the rupee so you still win

milton keynes
Level Contributor
784 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

hi there is definately a atm in anjuna up by dominos pizza i used it several times last xmas, this was the first year it's been there. have had problems in the past with uk banks stopping the cards as someone stated earlier but by double checking it's authorised before we leave wew seem to have solved this problem (touch wood)

i have on one occassion bought rupees at heathrow on the way out although they told me it was at my own risk as it could be confiscated on entry to india.

20. Re: Travellers Cheques or Cash Machines in Anjuna? What's best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 22, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Anjuna