We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the histroy of Jemison. Alabama

Greymouth, New...
1 post
Save Topic
What is the histroy of Jemison. Alabama

Hi my name is Kris Jemison (nee Rattray) and I live in Greymouth, New Zealand. My husband is Alan Thomas Jemison, his family originally come from England. Out of several children, only his father and uncle emigrated to NZ after the war. I was looking up Mae Jemison, first black woman to fly into space, when the reference to Jemison, Alabama came up and thought I would have a look. I would really like to know how your town got its name and the history of it so I can share it with my husband and his fmily. This may not be the right place for this email, I'm not really wanting to add a topic to the forum but thought I would ask anyway.

Yours sincerely, Kris Jemison

Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the histroy of Jemison. Alabama

The town of Jemison was named for Robert Jemison, a businessman from Tuscaloosa, AL. The town started about 1870 when the railroad first came to the area. Col. John T. Milner who was involved in the construction of the railroad suggested the name Jemison to honor his good friend. You can read more about Robert Jemison at the Jemison-Van de Graaff Mansion website. www.jemisonmansion.com/index.php?page=1

2. Re: What is the histroy of Jemison. Alabama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Jemison