We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

Which Huntsville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
delaware
Level Contributor
19 posts
79 reviews
Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

My son is interested in the week long camp. He'll be 12.

We are in the northeast. Is it worth it? He wants to attend the all kids camp, so my husband and I would drive him down and hang out in town for the week. We'd do anything for our sons education- if its worth it:)

60 replies to this topic
Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

One of my sons did it for 3 or 4 days at that age with a school group about two years ago. He thoroughly enjoyed it. It all depends on his interests as to whether it is worth it or not. My son still talks about it when conversations go that direction.

Traveling the USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

Yes!!!!!!

delaware
Level Contributor
19 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

Thanks! That sounds like a big yes :)

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
375 reviews
4. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

Our son has done every camp option they offer and has enjoyed every one. Oddly he seemed to enjoy X Camp the most.

NH
7 posts
5. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

I am interested in sending my 12 year old to Space Camp as well. He is very interested in space and aviation. He is somewhat shy though but is showing an interest in the camp. He is apprehensive without having any friends go. Do you know if a lot of kids go without friends / siblings? (We live in the northeast too) NH. Any information would be great. Also, I can't figure out how many kids to a room for sleeping there is.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
375 reviews
6. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

From my observations the majority of kids are not accompanied by a friend. Most of the sleeping areas are large wards with groups of 30 or so kids. The oldest teens seem to get the smaller sleeping quarters that have maybe 12 people in them. X Camp stays in a building down by the lake.

NH
7 posts
7. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

Thanks for the reply. I think we will look at the July schedule.

NH
7 posts
8. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

Looking at the posts re: Space Camp, just wondering if you decided to send your son this summer. Still decided on sending my 12 yr old son.

MA
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
9. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

I have a grandson that is going to space camp in July .This will be his first trip

away at camp. He will turn 13 in June. Please e-mail andreissharon@gmail.com

delaware
Level Contributor
19 posts
79 reviews
10. Re: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?

I just found out that NASA's Wallops Island Facility in Chinoteague VA offers Space Camp also. This facility launches rockets/satelites for NASA. I guess it can't be as big as Huntsville, by the iteneray seemed fun. And it is located on the beach (remember Misty of Chincoteague :) The website is VAspaceflightacademy.org This would be closer for our family. Being from NH I thought you might be interested too. We've promised our son next year.

Reply to: Is Space Camp, Huntsville Alabama, worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted