We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shock at Crystal Shores reservation

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
houston, texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
shock at Crystal Shores reservation

hi all,

I just put down a deposit to reserve one of the unit (#605) at Crystal Shores for our vacation in May. We booked for 4 nights at the rate of 200/night for 2 bedroom/2baths.

At this rate I'd have thought that the owner will provide us at least toilet papers, but they are not. Here is a part of memo that was just sent to us right after we put down our deposit:

THINGS TO

CONSIDER

Bathroom tissue

BRINGING:

Beach towels & toys /chairs

soap/shampoo

Camera

Coffee filters

Condiments / charcoal for outdoor cookers

Dish towels

Dishwashing liquid

Hangers

Laundry detergent

Medium garbage bags

Napkins

Paper towels

Phone card (Toll block on phone)

Sunscreen

I understand there are some personal stuffs that we need to bring, but toilet paper and paper towel? And detergent? Consider that we have to wash dishes before we leave or we'll be charged...

Am I being robbed or is it the same everywhere in gulfshores?

Please educate me because I'm pretty upset at this and if I cancel the contract, there will be 100 processing fee.

Beebe, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shock at Crystal Shores reservation

Most places that I have stayed provide a starter roll of toilet paper, but you always need to buy more....And paper towels are the same way....

Most have dish washer soap, but if you use excess, then they want you to replace it....

The small dishwasher tablets are great , because you can bring them from home easily in your luggage. And they sell small concentrated bottles of laundry soap..

That sounds typical of most places, no matter it be the beach or lake, or vegas ect,,,,,

Now most places do have plenty of coffee filters.

There are a few companys around that don't provide linens or bath towels...

There is a wal-mart super center in gulf shores that is the best place to buy food and supplies.

Stay away from Bruno's, they are located next to the road to fort morgan, they are really expensive .....It seems that every body arrives on saturday at the same time and the stores are crazy busy , so be prepared for that.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shock at Crystal Shores reservation

That's pretty much the difference in staying in a condo vice a hotel. It's like that in Hawaii, California, wherever. Good advice from Fordarama on avoiding Bruno's. Before WalMart opened I always told people Bruno's was the worst store on the island, except for the other one (Winn Dixie). WalMart is the place to get stuff down here. If you drive in on Hwy 59, you might want to stop at Burris' produce in Loxley, then The Meat Market in Robertsdale. You'll save some $$$ and get better quality. Both sit right on the highway.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shock at Crystal Shores reservation

Thank you for the great advice! We were planning on going grocery shopping when we got there or nearby...we are also staying at Crystal Shores (in May) and I have stayed at condos before and this does seem to be the norm for them.

When will you be staying there? If I stay before you I will give you a full report!

central arkansas
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shock at Crystal Shores reservation

The condos that we have rented in the past had some of the above, such as toilet paper, and paper towels, dish towels, already in the condos. We did bring dishwashing detergent, extra toilet paper, our own shampoo, and basically anything that we would need during the week. We had a starter package of washing powder in our condo, but since we used the washing machine every day, we brought extra.

I think that basically all the condos are the same. They are condos, and not hotels. We also did our own housekeeping while there. They will only be cleaned before you arrive and after you leave.

It's basically just a "home away from home", and I know you'll enjoy the beach!

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: shock at Crystal Shores reservation

I've spoke to owners of condo's/cabins and they tell the same stories. Management co's that charge huge premiums/fees to make sure those items are in the unit. A few thought....I'll just buy up a supply of toliet paper/paper towels/light bulbs/etc and put it in a closet to save money. Generally 1-2 renters and all of it was GONE....stolen. So they decide to let the renter know upfront what they will need to bring.

6. Re: shock at Crystal Shores reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 30, 2009