We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf Shores for the first time

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Topic
Gulf Shores for the first time

We are thinking of driving there in June with 2 kids (ages 9 & 12). Can you recommend a resort/place to stay right on the beach for 5 nights?

Jennifer

Edited: 12:12 pm, February 10, 2014
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

My dream has been to stay at the Marriott Resort marriott.com/hotels/…

Do you prefer chain hotels or vacation rentals though?

The last time I was in that area I stayed on Pensacola Beach at a hotel that was damaged in a hurricane and never repaired. I like The Sandestin Hilton, but that is much further east.

Mentioned in this post
Pensacola Beach
Pensacola Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Sandestin
Sandestin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

Just to be clear...the marriot Grand Hotel is not in Gulf Shores but in Point Clear near Fairhope Wonderful property but not a gulf beach

Mentioned in this post
Fairhope
Fairhope
Alabama
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

There are many good options. The Lighthouse near the "T" in Gulf Shores, The Beach Club in The Fort Morgan area, or any of the Phoenix condos in Orange Beach would be possibilities for you. Most owners will want to rent by the week in June so you might have the best luck renting with a management company for a 5 night stay.

Mentioned in this post
The Beach Club
The Beach Club
523 Reviews
Gulf Shores, AL
Louisiana
Level Contributor
304 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

I know that the Phoenix condos (Brett Robinson) rent for less than a week. I believe they have a three day minimum. The ones I have been to have indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, racquetball courts. Located in Orange beach, not gulf shores. Check them out.

Mentioned in this post
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

If you want to unplug and just relax and not do all the touristy things and destinations in Gulf Shores like Ripley Believe it or not museum just go to a condo in Ft Morgan's Gulf Shore Plantation, with 6 outdoor pools one indoor pool and hot tube, two outdoor hot tubs, steam room, dry sauna, tennis courts, basketball courts, horseshoe pits, and Kiva Dunes golf course next to it your family with have plenty of amenities to keep busy. It is about 12 miles west of Gulf Shores, about 20 min drive to eats and bars of Gulf Shores. But I enjoyed being away from the tourist areas with nothing but thousands of feet of clean white beach to entertain myself with. It is an older facility but well maintained and excellent security. Just fill up the fridge at grocery store on way in Gulf Shores and you will never need to or want to leave the Plantation.

Mentioned in this post
Kiva Dunes Resort
Kiva Dunes Resort
108 Reviews
Gulf Shores, AL
Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

With kids, I would avoid hotels ... If you rent a condo, you have more room to roam and a much needed washer and dryer.. They are stocked with everything that you might need. I use www.vrbo.com . you will save a lot over the rental companies and over hotels inflated prices . I would look in Gulf shores Central , or west on vrbo.

Also in Orange beach, right up the beach is caribe the resort . You can find it on vrbo in the orange beach section ..

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

Just want to point out that Caribe in Orange Beach is on the bay side and not the beach, although it does have beach access and a golf cart to take you there.

Mentioned in this post
Caribe Resort
Caribe Resort
311 Reviews
Orange Beach, AL
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

Just want to point out that Caribe in Orange Beach is on the bay side and not the beach, although it does have beach access and a golf cart to take you there.

Edited: 10:41 am, February 17, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Caribe Resort
Caribe Resort
311 Reviews
Orange Beach, AL
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
580 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

I believe the Ripley's Museum is in Gatlinburg Ken.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gulf Shores for the first time

There is also one in Myrtle Beach.

Mentioned in this post