We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

We will be staying at The Beach Club in the Fort Morgan area in late October and would like to visit Dauphin Island and also Mobile while on our trip - just two adults, no kids. Would it be possible to visit both of these in one day? I thought we could take a ferry to Dauphin Island, spend a little time exploring the bird sanctuary and nature trails (not sure about the Estaurium - we've been to other Aquariums before - any different??), then drive from there on AL-193 to Mobile. We would like to visit the USS Alabama and also drive around the city a little, and if time, visit one of the historic homes. Would take I-10 on the way back. Do you think we could do this in one day?? Any other suggestions you might have would be appreciated

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

Very doable..I would add another town ...Fairhope..It can be on your way back. From the Uss Alabama take 98 east and follow to Farhope...take first exit and go into town on Section St... Downtown is Section at Fairhope Ave (see pier at end of Fairhope Ave) Then 98 to Foley, 59 to your Ft Morgan turn

Do Mobile first then Battleship..come off I10 west of town on Us 90 ( Government BLVD) and come all the way downtown to Ft Conde tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g30709-d14… . Lots to see in area.

You will have bisected Mobile and seen its best. You are only a moment or two via the old tunnel to the Battleship.

Edited: 5:24 pm, October 12, 2013
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Conde

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

One of my favorites in Mobile...http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g30709-d327424-Reviews-Dick_Russell_s_Bar_b_q-Mobile_Alabama.html

And virtually every restaurant out on the causeway near the battleship is good seafood Original Oysterhouse, Felix, R&R, Eds etc...Had good meals at all of them

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

ooh!! thank you so much!! Fairhope looks like our kind of place!! I hadn't heard of it before so I really appreciate your info. I love exploring small towns and quaint little shops and an art community too - have definitely added this to our list of things to see. I will also look for Fort Conde when in Mobile.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

We moved from Fairhope 2 years ago after 25 yrs! Just ask ...a good daytrip from Beach Club ..maybe an hour trip.

Frankly I'd skip Mobile Do DI one day and Fairhope/Battleship another day. I'll help anyway I can

Edited: 9:52 pm, October 12, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

I was beginning to think that it might be a little too much for one day. We will be down there for 5 nights so will have a little time for exploring.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

Downtown Pensacola..historic area is worth a short visit.. Joe Pattis Seafood is fabulous. Have them steam some shrimp for you..remember..take a cooler. Their frozen bread for heating later is great. very good deli and wine shop.. The Fish House tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34550-d51… is very very good..go for lunch and sit outside

Edited: 10:11 pm, October 12, 2013
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

For a little piece the old Gulf Shores ,have lunch and a beverage of your choice at the Pink Pony on the beach. A recent poster said it was 50 yrs old.. I know we were there in the mid 70;s. have a Mucho Nacho Supreme. Or a burger there or at Bahama Bobs

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

If you are doing Dauphin Island as a separate trip, you may want to add in Bellingrath Gardens which is only about 30 min from DI. Really one of the most amazing gardens in the US and a picturesque mansion to tour as well.

I second skipping most of Mobile and spending your time at the USS Alabama and the great airplane museum there (they also have a submarine to tour) and then eating at one of the causeway restaurants (we like Eds the best but they are all fun).

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
571 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting Dauphin Island and Mobile in one day?

I would second going to Bellingrath Gardens and the USS Alabama. Dauphin Island is not very big and the Estuarium is not your typical big city aquarium. There are several forts to tour in the area and Fort Conde serves as the Mobile Visitors Center. You can get info on touring Mobile's historic district and houses there. I would also look into Five Rivers Delta Resource Center for a natural experience. In Perdido Key is the National Aviation Museum, not sure if they are open or not with the government shutdown. The museum is world class and well worth visiting. You could easily spend a half day in the museum and on the naval base if you add the lighthouse tour and Fort Barrancas. If you are just going to look at historic homes in Mobile from your car then drive down Government Street, Dauphin Street, and Old Shell Rd. There are several historic houses in the immediate downtown area too located on the cross streets between Government and Dauphin Streets.

Edited: 2:48 pm, October 14, 2013