We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf shores with 11 young kids!

3 posts
Save Topic
Gulf shores with 11 young kids!

We leave in about a week to come down with 10 adults and 11 kids between the ages of 2-7...any advice on what to do, where to eat, etc? Any advice is appreciated!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gulf shores with 11 young kids!

See the other posts re: kids, the beach, and other things to do.

The Hangout, Lulu's, and The Village Hideaway, are the best places to eat with kids IMHO, but it will be hard to get in places with a group that large during the summer. The Gulf Shores Zoo and The Warf would also be fun.

Edited: 10:03 am, June 11, 2013
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
572 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gulf shores with 11 young kids!

I agree with Albeachfan. Those are good places to eat and the children can play with others while you maybe have a cocktail or two. They are designed with children in mind. I would also consider taking them to the Pensacola NAS and the Naval Aviation Museum. It is a world-class museum with hundreds of interactive cockpits and things for children to do. There is a historic civil war fort, Fort Barrancas, which is said to be haunted, located just a mile from the museum there. We have a new zipline course at the state park which they might enjoy depending on their height and whether or not they can even get on it. I take my own children out to the beach a lot in the evenings and they like to run around and hunt for ghost crabs with flashlights. There will be lots of families doing this as well. We have go-carts, bumper boats, arcades, mini-golf, the zoo, a waterpark with a fun roller coaster, skyswings, bungee jumping, bowling, movie theaters, etc. so there is a lot for them to do. There are several other forts in very close proximity that can be toured on your own. My children like to run around Fort Morgan and go inside all the passages and batteries that are there. There are options for sailing, pontoon or catamaran cruises. we have an extensive charter fishing fleet, both in and offshore. There are several nature centers here or within an hour. Five Rivers in Spanish fort also does Kayak tours and airboat tours of the delta. There is Alligator Alley in Summerdale, just up Hwy 59. If you have very small children and want to let them swim or play in relatively calm saltwater, the city has recently renovated Gulf Shores West Pass and cater the area almost entirely to children. Both Gulf Shores and Orange Beach have great "Kid's parks" located at the Bodenhammer Center. They do activities there a good bit and also have a nice skateboard park there. This weekend is the Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival. In Mobile and Dauphin Island they have the Exploreum, Estuarium and Dauphin Island Sea Lab which are geared towards children. Fort Gaines is right beside the Sealab and my own children love taking the ferry to Dauphin Island for whatever reason. There are dolphin tours you can take. There is always the beach and the state pier too. You could go to Blue Girl Beading and have the kids make bead necklaces or anklets. That's all I can think of right now.

Edited: 11:24 am, June 11, 2013
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gulf shores with 11 young kids!

Thanks for all the great info! Have you ever done the pirate ship cruise?

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
572 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gulf shores with 11 young kids!

I have not, I saw it by Ono about an hour ago though and they were shooting the cannons off or whatever simulation of a cannon they have on board.

5. Re: Gulf shores with 11 young kids!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 13, 2014