We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

We're trying to pick a location for our summer vacation (7/13 - 7/20) and thinking about trying out Gulf Shores. We have a 7 year old and a 3 year old. We'd like to be right on the beach with a balcony overlooking the beach, a condo is fine as long as there is washer/dryer and kitchen as we'll likely eat breakfast and some meals at home. We definitely need a pool and a kid friendly pool or splash area is a bonus, as is a hot tub. An indoor pool would be great in case it rains. My husband and I will be in the middle of marathon training for the Chicago marathon, so a workout facility with treadmills where we can get some runs in if it's too muggy outside is almost required. We'll likely drive there, so we'll have our car, but if we could be walking distance to some restaurants/shops, that's even better. We definitely don't want to be far from everything requiring a 15 min drive every time we want to go somewhere (so Ft. Morgan is out).

Where would you recommend we look? I've been playing around vrbo, but am a little overwhelmed with the options and not being familiar with the area and where the restaurants/shops are located, I thought I would ask the experts!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

You will be best suited to a condo in the West Beach area. There are plenty that have everything you want including the splash pools and hot tubs/ washer/dryer. Plus you will be close to everything. Another option would be a Phoenix rental in Orange Beach. The Phoenix condos have everything you asked for but are a little more expensive than those in West Beach. VRBO may have some deals on there. A third option would be in the Romar Beach area between East gulf Shores and Orange Beach. From a condo there you would be able to walk to the backcountry trails in the state park for your marathon training. You would have to drive a little more from Romar but it is very convenient as it sits between both cities.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

We have a place at Island Royale in west beach and it would be a great option for you but booked this week. Try to search VRBO for Island Royale. It has an indoor-outdoor pool and indoor-outdoor hot tubs, exercise room, everything you need. Very close to everything. No splash pad - the only places I know with those are in Orange Beach (just a few miles east) like Escapes to the Shores or Phoenix West but that is a higher budget area. Have fun!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
300 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

We have been going to Phoenix V (#510) for years now with our kids. It has everything you mentioned: balcony on the beach, indoor and outdoor pool, fenced kiddie pool, racquetball courts, tennis courts, workout room. We like this particular Phoenix because it is closer on the beach than most, that is, when you are carrying kids and tons of gear it is hard to walk a long distance in the sand to your beach spot. The condo itself is fully stocked, nicely decorated and clean There is also someone at the front desk 24 hrs. just in case you have a problem. The building is also located close to supermarkets, restaurants, etc. Have fun.

Cajun Country
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

We love San Carlos.

It's right near the T. Great location, walking distant to 9 or more restaurants & 6 or more shops.

Large units. Huge balconies.Floor to ceiling windows.

Full size, washer / dryer

Master has stand-up shower but large jacuzzi tub too.

They also have a zero entry pool with is great for kids.

And they have a nice workout room that over looks the beach. They also have a nice sauna.

Many of the units are listed on VRBO - so you can get nice deal.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

Do NOT go to Best Western on the Beach! What a nightmare!!!! Huge bugs in bed! The balcony railings are dangerously loose!!!!

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

Do NOT go to Best Western on the Beach!!! It is unfriendly (period), more so for kids!!! The railings on the balcony are very loose, and they have NO nets, the condo next door has nets, but not this dive! When you lay at the pool, the lounge-chairs line up against the Pancake House one-way window...it's kinda creepy knowing someone is eating just inches behind you. The front desk & GM are RUDE!!!! The rest of the employees are literally crying during their cigarette breaks. What a sad situation! The doors have been busted into so many times, the door won't lock, the toliet didn't flush...I've seen much better hotels in Mexico!

Edited: 1:53 pm, April 11, 2013
Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

Perdido Beach Resort is beautiful, you are certain to have a pleasant vacation there. Do NOT go to Best Western on the Beach in Gulf Shores, run away!

Starkville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

We always stay at the Lighthouse in Gulf Shores. The 1 bedrooms 2 baths have a bunkroom that is like a small 2nd brm that would be plenty big enough for kids. Floor to ceiling windows in the master & living room, big blaconys, full size washer & dryers. Jacuzi tubs in master & stand alone shower. They have two pools w/ one being the zero entry that the kids can just wade into at 1st & two hot tubs & a nice work out room. Covered parking. We always rent units that end in '9' or '10' to get in the center of the building to get views up & down the beach. We usually rent through Youngs Suncoast where I believe the 7th night is free. I think Brett Robinson has a few to choose from & Meyers rents them. Not sure about Keiser (sp). Have fun whereever you choose!

9. Re: Recommendation where to stay, first timers with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2014