We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay for first timers

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay for first timers

My wife and I are planning two nights on the coast after New Orleans as part of a trip. Can anyone suggest good locations to stay? I had initially though one night in Mobile then one in Gulf Shores.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay for first timers

It really depends what time of year you are traveling. During peak times you may have difficulty finding gulf front accommodations for one or two nights. Most condos book by the week and hotels may have 3 night requirements. Some nice hotels worth checking out in Orange Beach are the Perdido Beach Resort, the Hampton Inn & Suites, the Island House Hotel, and the Hilton Garden Inn. All of these are gulf front. Another nice place is the Fairfield Inn, but it is built along a lake across the street from the beach (they run a shuttle to it) and has no gulf view.

If you are traveling at non-peak times, you might find a good deal on a one bedroom condo. We like the condos at The Beach Club in Gulf Shores, any of the Phoenix buildings in Orange Beach, and the Tidewater.

Another, perhaps more expensive/luxurious, option is to stay at the beautiful bay-front Grand Hotel in Point Clear, Alabama. It's just a couple miles from the historic bayside town of Fairhope. If you are a Marriott Rewards member you might want to stay a night at The Battle House Hotel in Mobile and then a night at The Grand (also a Marriott). Both have good restaurants on site and very nice pools - especially The Grand.

Surrey
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay for first timers

Many thanks for your advice - we are there at the end of August!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay for first timers

You should be fine then. Most condos drop their prices a lot after August 16, because all the children are back in school. I assume hotels do the same. Another good hotel option is Phoenix All Suites in Gulf Shores.

Surrey
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay for first timers

Will post again with what I find! Thanks

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay for first timers

Hi,

My friend and I are also visiting Gulf Shores at the end of August for just a couple of nights (following a couple of night's in New Orleans too!)... we're finding some fairly good rates online (just using expedia etc), and the above suggestions of hotels were really helpful too.

Have definitely come across the problem mentioned above regarding a 3 night minimum stay in some places though.

I was just wondering if anyone can explain the main differences between Orange Beach and Gulf Shores? Is one of the beaches particularly nicer / more convenient than the other?

Is there a particular location with more going on, cafe's, restaurant, bars etc?

We are both late twenties / early thirties and while we're not neccessarily looking for lots of night life... would like a location with a bit going on, and maybe not lots and lots of young children!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay for first timers

They are basically the same but Orange Beach caters to more upscale clients than Gulf Shores. Type "Differences" in the search topic box above and it will bring up several forums discussing the differences between the two cities.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay for first timers

If you want to be close to beach bars you basically have 2 options: (1) stay close to the "T" in Gulf Shores where the Pink Pony and the Hangout are located. Hotels in this area would include Phoenix Allsuites and the BestWestern; or (2) stay close to the FloraBama on Perdido Key. No hotels, but Phoenix X condos are right next door. If you want to avoid children you might want also take a look at the Original Romar House bed & breakfast which is located on the beach in Orange Beach. I believe they do not allow children and have a 2 night minimum on weekends.

Orange Beach basically runs into Gulf Shores with Gulf State Park separating the two in the middle. You will need a car to get to most non-beach attractions and restaurants, so the location of your hotel may not be too important.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay for first timers

We always stay at The Lighthouse in a 1 bedroom/2 bath that has a bunkroom. Great ceiling to floor views from the master & living room. 2 great pools & hot tubs, work out room, indoor pool, enclosed parking. It's in Gulf Shores. As for the difference b/n GS & OB, to us there isn't any really. The beaches are the same & it's just a short hop in your car to any restaurant you want to go to. Call the rental companies to check on deals to, Youngs Suncoast, Meyer's, Bretts, etc. If you have to go w/ a hotel, we used to stay in The Island House Hotel in Orange Beach before we discovered condos & because of how the hotel is curved, each room has an awesome view. Have a great time whereever you decide to go!

Edited: 7:20 pm, March 07, 2013
9. Re: Places to stay for first timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 09, 2014