We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight help!!!

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lowell, Michigan
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight help!!!

Coming to Gulf Shores March 28-April 6th from Grand Rapids Michigan. Right now airfare is out of this world $900. I have read that 21 days out is best but worried if I should take that chance or will these just keep going up???

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight help!!!

WOW, the prices out of Grand Rapids are insane. I even checked larger airports (like New Orleans and Atlanta), and they are still well over $500.

I live in Birmingham and often find fares that are so much cheaper out of Atlanta that it makes sense for my family of 4 for drive the 2.5 hours each way and fly out of there. I checked on kayak.com for Detroit and Chicago to see how they compared. Detroit is still high, but Chicago is surprisingly cheap. Delta into Pensacola is around $450 per person. The best deal is Delta into Mobile which has one route for $333 per person (others for $363). For that kind of savings, it would be beneficial to drive to Chicago even if it is for only one person.

Lowell, Michigan
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight help!!!

Thanks so much. I will check this out. Chicago is about 3 hours but for the price well worth it!! Do you know how far Mobile is from Gulf Shores?? Doesn't look far on a map.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight help!!!

It's about an hour drive. Same for Pensacola. Where were you looking at flying into?

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight help!!!

If possible, fly into Pensacola. The drive from the airport there is a lot quicker and easier than from Mobile.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight help!!!

Detroit to Pensacola Round trip is only $530 on Kayak. Grand Rapids was $800. It is worth paying a little extra to not drive from Mobile. Pensacola will save an hour of traffic at any time of day and you don't wan't to be anywhere near the airport in Mobile at rush hour.

Lowell, Michigan
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight help!!!

There are 6 of us. Flying into Mobile saves us $200 per person which is a ton so I will be booking Mobile. I would like Pensacola but not for $1200.

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight help!!!

That sounds good. I would keep trying Pensacola also, because P'cola usually less expensive 80% of the time compared to Mobile and an easier drive. But either way you will love Alabama beaches!!!

Lowell, Michigan
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight help!!!

Thanks so much!! Just booked 6 tickets for $332 each from Chicago to Mobile. Can't believe the price.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight help!!!

Wow, you got a great deal. Have a wonderful vacation.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight help!!!

great deal?! Y'all must have $ to burn. I live in GS and my family lives in Grand Rapids. Drive to Chicago, get a flight to Atlanta, rent a car