We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

We will be staying at Orange Beach in the Gulf Shores area. Any recommendations of where to buy fresh seafood for cooking back at our condo?

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

You should be able to google seafood markets. Try Blaylocks seafood.

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

http://www.billys-seafood.com/

Billys is straight from the boat to your plate. Give it a try.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

If you like super fresh shrimp you can buy it right off the shrimp boats very cheaply in the Oyster Bay part of Gulf Shores. Try the Lady Kris (you can google them for a phone number and directions).

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

Blaylock Seafood @ 24822 Canal Road, Orange Beach, AL 251 - 974 - 5811.

FRESH SHRIMP........

Freddie Stewart @ 251 - 949 - 6255 lives in Bon Secour.

Go North on Hwy 59 to Cty Rd 10 and go W. on Cty Rd 10 past the 4 way.

Make a left and go South on Heritage Drive.

Go to the sign that says "Freddie Stewart Fresh Shrimp Off Boat"

MONDAYS - SATURDAYS between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

Blaylocks

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

Blaylock has a convenient location on Gulf Shores Parkway just S of the airport.

http://www.blalock-seafood.com/

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

Blaylocks is very expensive. In fact last time I was over there the price for their fresh shrimp ($13 per pound!) was more than we pay for fresh shrimp in Birmingham and a lot more than Billy's. You can get it for about $4 to $5 per pound off the boat.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

prices at billy's

http://www.billys-seafood.com/market.htm

Foley, Alabama
Level Contributor
304 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

Jule ---

If convenience is what you're after you can also get fresh fish from a little store at Zeke's Marina called "FRESH MARKET SEAFOOD" (you'll also see it on the corner of CTY RD 10 on the way to Bon Secour.)

But if this is your first time to the area Billy's Seafood in Bon Secour is a "Do Not Miss." Why? It is the area's only open air seafood market. It is located waterfront on the Bon Secour River --- a Civil War significant river and it is located on the Coastal Birding Trail. It is an experience just driving through the historic shrimping town of Bon Secour --- with its 100 yr old. clapboard school that still serves the community.

You'll be tempted to eat at Tin Top Restaurant and maybe want to tour the river mansion Swift-Cole House --- at least I always am when heading this way!

As a local I like to support individual shrimpers so I am tickled to see axle mention FEDDIE STEWART. You will enjoy meeting his wife --- a real Southern lady.

His shrimp are flash frozen individually using only salt as preservatives (which rates with me).

I'm tickled to learn of the Lady Kris off Oyster Bay from ALBeachFan. I'll have to ck it out. Thanks for the tip!

As far as Blaylocks that baytraveler and bamanascar suggested --- I enjoy shopping there at both the Orange Beach and Gulf Shores stores. It is a more "upscale" way to purchase your shrimp/fish.

They carry a nice selection of foreign wines and gourmet items. They also have what I call (because I don't know what else to call it!) "food gifts." This is where I go to stuff welcome baskets etc. for guests.

I wish I had the head count memorized to know what to pay for shrimp. I know we prefer to purchase "JUMBO" or whatever is the largest.

I highly suggest "Royal Reds" --- a unique, deep-water shrimp to the Gulf that tastes the most like lobster. This shrimp is reason alone to purchase shrimp from the Gulf Coast area.

I've also been lucky to catch a local shrimper at Wolf Bay near where the old Wolf Bay Lodge used to be (maybe someone else can describe how to get there!).

If you are headed E. of Hwy 59 on Cty Rd. 20 there is a convenience store at a corner where you'd turn to get to the old Wolf Bay Lodge location. Weekends you may find a little sign that says "Fresh Off The Boat Shrimp."

What is fun about getting shrimp from there is you can walk a dock straight up to the boat and watch the shrimpers de-head right in front of you.

Now THAT is fresh off the boat shrimp for you! ha

10. Re: where to buy fresh seafood in gulf shores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:43 pm, June 19, 2013