We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks

Which Gulf Shores hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Dakota
Level Contributor
669 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks

Can you advise me whether sharks are a problem at Gulf Shores? I heard that a boy from St. Louis had his leg bitten off below the knew on Friday (March 23) early afternoon in the area after a stormy morning below the knew in the area. I don't mean to be a fear monger but would like to understand the risk factor.

Edited: 10:25 pm, March 26, 2012
Gulf Shores, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Sharks

yes, we have sharks here, alligators too! people fish for sharks and fish on the beach with swimmers all around them. no one can say when a shark will attack. it just happens..I don't let my kids go in past their knees. I saw a barracuda in the water when I was swimming last week. the beach is not a zoo or aquarium. your not protected. it is a risk you take when in or around waters no matter what state your in.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,941 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sharks

Which is higher----the chance of a shark bite in AL or frost bite in South Dakota?

Gulf Shores, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Sharks

sharks were not the issue last summer it was the schools of sting rays....

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sharks

We've seen a shark twice out of the many times we've been there. Both times happened to be after a heavy downpour blew by. I'm not sure if that increased the risk or just coincidence. It was swimming less than 10 yards from some guy but did nothing.

I have been going to the beach 3-4 times a year for 40 years and have never seen or heard of a shark attack.

One time last year we did see 2 or 3 rescues from people nearly drowning from rip tides, so I would vote your biggest threat is rip tide not sharks, jellies or sting rays. Sting rays, really? LOL.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sharks

We haven't had a shark attack in Alabama waters to my knowledge since Jessie Arbogast was bitten back in 2003. The media didn't tell you that his heroic uncle who wrestled an 8 foot+ Bull Shark to shore already had that shark hooked on rod and reel. The previous year we had two attacks with a good friend and local principal losing his arm. They were both swimming at feeding time and it was a freak year for shark attacks around the nation. Florida alone had over fifty. We hadn't had a shark attack in twenty five years prior to that and haven't had one since. There are sharks all over the coast and I have seen thousands in our waters inshore and offshore. Most are harmless and more scared of you than you are of them. Peak feeding times are dusk and dawn and if you see a lot of fish activity close to shore then there is a good chance that a shark is around somewhere. Anyone who has been on the balconies of the taller condominiums will tell you they see sharks swimming through people all the time and 99% of the time nothing happens. Jellies and Rays are bigger problems. So no we do not have a shark problem.

16. Re: Sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 27, 2014