We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather/Spring Breakers

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weather/Spring Breakers

Will be in the G/S area from 26 April - 30 April and have reservations in Phoenix V condos. I was wondering if it will be beach weather then and if we will be sharing it with spring breakers or if they will be back in school by then.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather/Spring Breakers

I'm pretty sure that you would be safe from spring breakers by then, Our spring break where I'm from is at the end of march, I've never been in april, but i know even in june that I've been chilly by the water at certain times of the day, But i would think that during day time it would be fairly warm at that time of the year. I'm sure you will really enjoy gulf shores, Though it is a different kinda beach than where your from. The beaches at g/s are really clean, But the waves are small compared to your virginia beaches. Be sure to check out LuLu's resturaunt while in g/s. It is a really fun place to eat, open walls, beach music, great food, It is next to a marina on a canal, just north of the beach, It is owned by Jimmy Buffets sister. They even have a band in the evenings. Oh, now see what you did, I miss the beach now. LOL... Have a good time.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather/Spring Breakers

Thanks Fordarama - I'm looking forward to the visit. My husband is from central Alabama and he brought me down to Gulf Shores for a couple of days back when we first got married (22 years ago). We were visiting relatives so I didn't get to really spend any time on the beach, but I saw them and they were very beautiful. Our relatives are no longer there, but we wanted to come down and just relax and enjoy the sun. Was hoping to get weather to lay out in the sun and relax on the beach. We will definitely check out your restaurant recommendations. Thanks again.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather/Spring Breakers

I lived in Virginia Beach for 6 years and have been in Gulf Shores for over 4. I like GS a lot more than VB for a lot of reasons. The beach, while not as wide, is a lot cleaner and the sand is nicer. Water is a lot bluer. The town isn't as commercial as VB. Yes, we have t-shirt shops and that sort of thing, but not to the extent you have it up there. No crowds jamming the sidewalks here, because there aren't many sidewalks. No cruisers. Weather should be good in that timeframe and the Breakers should be pretty much gone. Have fun!

LuLu's is okay. There is a lot better food to be found in GS and Orange Beach, but if you're a Buffett fan (I'm not) it will probably interest you.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather/Spring Breakers

We're actually considering moving to Gulf Shores (actually outlying areas) within the next couple of years. Is one of the reasons we're coming down. I was wondering what the coldest temperatures were that you experience there during the winter.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather/Spring Breakers

In the 4+ years I've lived here I think I've seen frost maybe 5 or 6 times. Other than that, it gets cold sometimes but nothing like Tidwater.

alabama mountains
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather/Spring Breakers

In Alabama, our spring break is over the 26th, so all the traffic on your trip will be heading out. The water will be cool, the winds will be cool -- beware you will blister not realizing how much sun you are actually getting. Don't forget to go out onto the beach at sunrise, it's spectacular.

Good luck, good weather, may your trip be blessed. PJ