We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

We have 2 families wanting to go to drive to Gulf Shores or now wondering if we should drive further on to Destin? We have been to other beach areas on gulf in Florida, but never to either of these areas. Any input or advice appreciated. We are wanting to stay where we have ocean front condo (or house), walk right out to beach and plenty of activities for young & teen kids. thanks!

Searcy, Arkansas
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
76 reviews
157 helpful votes
1. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

I have been to both,,

Destin has traffic issues, and just isn't really worth the extra drive,

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Gulf shores/orange beach

There is no other place for me..

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

I've been to both multiple times. I like the beach better at Gulf Shores, it's larger. Less traffic there too when going out in the evenings. Being a bit closer to the Mississippi river, the water can be a little murkier in Gulf Shores, although not always. Gulf Shores is very family oriented.

Destin is a bit flashier, more upper class, a little more expensive, and as previously mentioned, more traffic and further from the river so clearer water often.

Both have plenty of options for condos and houses right on the water. It's a bit of a mix of condos and houses in Destin, in Gulf Shores most houses are in the Fort Morgan area, and Condos closer to the Gulf Shores downtown area and Orange Beach.

Having said all that, I haven't been back to Destin for 3-4 years since our first trip to Gulf Shores if that tells you anything.

Searcy, Arkansas
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
76 reviews
157 helpful votes
3. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

Go to this facebook page,

It will give you an idea just how good gulf shores looks and the over all area

http://www.facebook.com/GulfShoresOrangeBeach?sk=photos

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
6 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

I second St. Louis. Destin is bigger and faster. GS/OB are more casual and slower. Destin has too much traffic and too many visitors. Go to GS/OB. Good luck.

Cajun Country
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
15 reviews
57 helpful votes
5. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

I love Gulf Shores!!! A little more family friendly.

Of course Destin is nice. Just check out the differences & go with your gut.

missouri
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

As a family of five, we LOVE Gulf Shores/Orange Beach! You will find everything that you can do in Destin, also in GS/OB, but it won't be as congested. We have also found the people to be friendlier in GS/OB. If you decide to book a place in Destin, make sure that you know what you're getting if it's listed as "gulf front". there are many places that are considered gulf front but there's a road between the beach and the complex, something to take into consideration if you're traveling with small children. In Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, "gulf front" properties are truly gulf front, no road separating you.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
41 helpful votes
7. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

I grew up going to Destin but now hate it, its way to built up and crowded. They do have beautiful beaches but so do Orange Beach/Gulf Shores. We like to stay in Gulf Shores area called west beach because its smaller condos and close to lots of things to do. We were just there Memorial Day weekend and it was awesome! Check out the Wharf when you are there, they have a ferris wheel if you have little kids they'll like that. My kids also love Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge, but we are an outdoors "like to hike" family :) Still you won't find a more secluded beach if you take that hike, I think its about .8 miles. Oh - in fact my picture/avatar was taken from a platform at Bon Secour.

Edited: 10 years ago
Chandler, Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

My husband and I have been taking beach vacations for 30+ years now; but since we discovered GS/OB in 2001, it is by far our favorite! We appreciate the bit slower speed which makes it easier for us to relax and rejuvenate. Because we usually go in the off-season, we have virtually no traffic congestion or crowded restaurants to deal with. It just suits us well and is an easy 10-hr drive. We love GS/OB!

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
95 posts
9. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

We have been to beach towns all over the country. We started going to OB/GS about 10 years ago. We go twice a year now and can't wait to go back. It is without a doubt our favorite place to go. It's like a second home to us. Although prices are much higher this year around 40% compared to last year. It is still a good value for a nice relaxing vacation.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Gulf shores/orange beach or Destin worth further drive?
Save

I love Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, nice restaurants, nice beaches, friendly people and pleasant atmosphere in the whole town.

Destin is also nice, but GO/OB is more family oriented.

things to do - http://www.gulfshores.com/things-to-do/calendar-events/

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.