We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf Shores vs Orange Beach

Nashville
1 post
Save Topic
Gulf Shores vs Orange Beach

We're bring two 15 yr old boys to the area in June. Which location has more things for the boys to do which are close? I don't want to hear "I'm bored" for a week.We plan on staying in a gulf front condo at either location.

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gulf Shores vs Orange Beach

I think gulf shores is the best bet of the two, But really the towns run into each other , so really it would not make much of a difference. we stay in fort morgan, but we go to gulf shores to eat and to orange beach. Be sure to take them to lulu's, it is a great place to eat , it sits on a canal, it has cool music ,and it has an open atmosphere where the walls are open to get wonderful gulf breezes and there is a volley ball court in the sand next to the front entrance. It is owned by jimmy buffets sister.

Tuscaloosa, Al
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gulf Shores vs Orange Beach

Hi-

As a condo owner and Mom of two boys maybe I can help. Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are both close to local attractions. Both beaches are clean and nice. That being said...what to do about boredom! I always tell my rentors that if you are coming to the beach for something to do you will be disappointed. There are various Putt Putt Golf, a small zoo, race track with arcade and a water park (that my kids say is a "joke") When they were younger (5-9) they settled for this stuff and it was enough amusement to appease them somewhat. With older kids, not a chance! I bought an X-box and board games for my condo. Also, DVD's. They also like to go deep sea fishing (very expensive)Look for a condo that has extras or you will spend your vacation in misery hauling them here and there and spending a lot of money on gimmicks! Sue at www.condoonthegulf.com

Tuscaloosa, Al
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gulf Shores vs Orange Beach

I forgot to add that my boys are now 15, and 18. They hate going to the beach because there is "nothing to do." We drag them anyway and they stay inside playing video games the whole week. It isn't the picture perfect family vacation, but it works for us! We like to lay around on the beach and relax under the umbrella doing nothing but listening to the waves. They aren't into that. I agree with previous writer - I like Gulf Shores better and Lulu's is great!

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gulf Shores vs Orange Beach

My sons are 21 and 12 and my neice that is 17 always goes with us, They get a little bored after a few days, but that all are really into video games so they take theirs with them, I also agree that there is not alot to do around the beach, But my kids have learned to enjoy just hanging out at the beach.

Decatur AL
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gulf Shores vs Orange Beach

Hey, kids - especially teenagers - are always bored. At least they SAY they are. Don't forget some day trips - to the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, to Mobile. Let them plan and cook a meal or two for everybody. Take them to buy seafood and then cook it. Ban the video games for 1 evening and teach them how to play some card games. Start writing a story and let each person write part of it and read it aloud at the next meal. Be sure to take them to Lamberts for "throwed rolls." Finally...a little boredom is not a bad thing. They WILL live. Vacation is for everybody, including the parents.