We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where to stay- first time GS visitor

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on where to stay- first time GS visitor

I have had many people comment on how beautiful Gulf Shores is-I've had some family visit it in the past and recommended that we go there. Overall, is it a fairly clean beach? I've read some reviews about GS being dirty and all- would hate spending vacation at a filthy beach!!

Do you think it is better than Florida beaches?

We're thinking about coming to GS in the summer possibly and have no knowledge whatsoever of the best places to stay at there. We are wanting to rent a condo, with 3 bedrooms. I have done some research on condos but it looks like alot of them, you must rent through rental companies- the condo itself don't rent out directly.

For those of you who have been to GS, what kind of condos are the best to stay in- in terms of good beach views, cleanliness, decent price,etc? I appreciate all suggestions!!

Cave City KY
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice on where to stay- first time GS visitor

We have vacationed in Gulf Shores several times and have never been disappointed in the beach. The last few years we have used Meyer realty, and they are quite good. We were there when we had to evacuate for Hurricane Ivan, and even though one of their offices was wiped out and the other was damaged, we got our refund for the time we did not get to stay exactly when they said we would. We had friends who did not have the same luck with other rentals. There are some dishonest folks out there, so be careful. We stayed at Crystal Shores condo last year. It was WONDERFUL!!! Check out unit 1207 I believe it was. Gorgeous with all the comforts. Take the video tour to get the best idea of the place. Also, try Lambert's restaurant while you are there. It's loads of fun and delicious. Also try the Original Oyster House.

Somerville, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice on where to stay- first time GS visitor

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g30582-c3760/Gulf-Sho…

To see (and edit/create) more [Insert location here] pages, go here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g30582-s1/…Inside.html

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

Somerville, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice on where to stay- first time GS visitor

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g30582-c3760/Gulf-Sho…

To see (and edit/create) more [Insert location here] pages, go here:

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

Somerville, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice on where to stay- first time GS visitor

Hi all-

I apologize for the typo in that last post (see "[Insert location here]"). It should read, "To see (and edit/create) more Gulf Shores pages, go here:

Again, my apologies my post came off as sounding impersonal or "canned". As I'm sure you could imagine, we have an abundance of forums to convert to inside pages (thanks to all the great material submitted by you, our users).

Be well,

Josh

TripAdvisor