We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teen activities

Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
teen activities

Hi all!

We'll be in GS for Christmas. Are there any safe teen activities or clubs where the kids could do their thing for a couple of evening hours? I heard that there may be something for teens at the Wharf? Being that it's off season, it may not be going on right now. Have you heard anything?

I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teen activities

I'm assuming you mean you drop off the teens while you and your significant other go eat? If so, I know of no place that does that. Maybe some of the other destination experts (dd, irie) may know. If you will be with your teens, the Wharf, the Hangout, and Lulu's are good choices.

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teen activities

The Wharf does serve as a place for local teens to hang in the summer. Not so sure about Christmas, though. There is a 14 screen theater and some restaurants, so it should keep them entertained for a while. Good security there.

Gulf Shores, AL
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: teen activities

There is a club at the Wharf that is supposed to be for teens but it looks a lot like a bar to me, I've posted the link so that you can find out more information:

http://hammerheadsob.com/home

When I called the Wharf about it they said that at this point it is for teens only but is hoping to go adult soon.

The Hangout and LuLu's are fun places for all ages. There is a large mall at Malbis that has some restaurants for ya'll and plenty of places for the kids to hang. Depending on what you're into there is a massive Bass Pro Shop that has it's own restaurant right next to the Malbis Mall.

I would definetly try to go to the Naval Museum in P-Cola. I don't care how old you are this place rocks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: teen activities

thanks!

That hammerheads club says over 21.

We do always go to Lulu's when we are in GS. The kids know it well. It has changed a lot, don't think for the better. I know we will still go, as we all have fun visiting and listening to music, and kids are welcome. There are about 5 items on the menu that are consistently excellent for bar type food. The cheeseburger, crab melt, fish tacos, peel and eat and fried shrimp, and margaritas. We have a group with ages from 12 to 78. Usually the older folks don't stay as long, and go back to the beach house/condo.

Are there any other places like Lulu's in the area where kids are welcome? I saw that there is a place called Pirate's Cove in Josephine. Is it ok, or is it not appropriate to take teens with us?

Thank you all!

Gulf Shores, AL
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: teen activities

Yes I saw that on the website but when I called them they said it was a teen club, don't know what's up with that?? The Hangout is a good choice, similar to LuLu's (except it's on the beach) but the food is nothing to write home about. If you do go, stick with the shrimp, the wings and the artichoke/crab dip.

There is a skateboard park the kids may enjoy:

gulfshores.com/things-to-do/…parks.aspx

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: teen activities

If your group likes Lulu's, the kids will LOVE the Hangout. As Irie said, food's nothing to write home about but the back bar area has some cool lounge areas (one with a firepit) that the teens seem to enjoy and they usually have live music. Right on the beach where I59 hits the Gulf!

7. Re: teen activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, October 17, 2009