We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Angels Practice

Madison
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Blue Angels Practice

We wanted to attend the Blue Angels practice on the 15th and 16th. How early do you need to arrive? How long does it take to drive from Gulf Shores? How is the practice show? Thanks for any advice!

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Angels Practice

The drive from GS to Pensacola Naval Air Station is about 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. Don't know about the rest.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Angels Practice

Hi there! We went to a practice and saw them just last week. THEY ARE AWESOME!!! The drive from GS took us a good 45 minutes. The practice started at 8:30 and we left at 7:45. When we got there they were already starting and all the seats were taken. I'd say you need to get there no later than 8:15 and then you may still take a chance on not getting a seat. But don't miss it, it's fabulous. I think on Wednesdays the pilots go into the museum and give talks and sign autographs. Also, I hope you'll stay and see the museum. I am not into naval aviation, but I thought it was very interesting and there were lots of things for kids to do.

Madison
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Angels Practice

Thanks for the info. I had heard you needed to get there very early to get a seat. Not sure how early that was. We have done the museaum before, but not the practice. We will probably do both because the museum is really great!

NE
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Angels Practice

July 9 at 8am Circle and Arrival maneuvers

July 10 2pm Blue Angel Practice Air Show

July 11-12 Blue Angel full dress rehersal (includes aerobatics,search & rescue demo by US Coast Guard, Fat Albert & Blue Angels flying at 2pm)

July 12 12pm Blue Angel Main Event

Location Pensacola Beach

Sounds awesome! We plan on attending like thousands of others!

st louis
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Angels Practice

Do the Blue Angels practice every week? (I realize they were practicing last week for the show.)

We'll be down in GS next week and would love to see them practice. Thanks!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Angels Practice

If you go to navalaviationmuseum.org, under related links, there is one that will take you to the blue angels website. On that website it will show their practice schedule. Hope you get to see them.

st louis
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Angels Practice

Thanks!! I knew a fellow St. Louisan would know-ha!

atl
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Angels Practice

We'll be in GS next week and I know they are practicing Tues. the 22nd. If you have never seen them, they are AWESOME!!! Plan to get there about 45'' before they start. When we saw them practice last spring, we just stood up against the small wooden fence next to the runway. At the end of the session, the host had all the kids come out and gave them flags to wave as the pilots landed. My daughter thought this was too cool. Have a fun trip!!

NE
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Angels Practice

We just got back from The Plantation and while on the beach the Blue Angels practiced during the day! It was awesome! We saw a search and rescue and watched a couple Blue Angels do their thing while we were on the beach.

Madison
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Angels Practice

Hi again, just got back from our trip last week and we went to the practice on the 15th - It was AWESOME!!

The drive only took about 45 minutes. They do the full show and it is not as crowded as going to an actual air show (like in Pensacola Beach). You can get the practice schedule from their web site. http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/schedules.htm.

We have been to the Gulf several times but never did this before - it will now be a "must do"for the trip.