We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Gadsden in 1 week

Kentucky
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Gadsden in 1 week

My mother and I are taking a "girls" trip and starting in Gadsden for the 127 yard sale. We are looking for somewhere nice to eat for dinner. Any suggestions? I have seen Top of the River mentioned here, but recommendations seem to vary from bad to average. Any thoughts would be so appreciated. Trying to surprise mom with having everything planned.

4 replies to this topic
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Gadsden in 1 week

Hmm...if you start at the beginning of the sale early in the day, you will very likely have time to do most of what is in Alabama. You could plan dinner and sleep in Chattanooga. If you choose that option, the Chattanooga forum is very active for suggestions, but personally I would stay at the Read House, and eat somewhere on the riverfront.

If you dont get quite that far, stay in Mentone, AL along the sale route and eat at the Wildflower Cafe, very popular.

www.mentonewildflower.com

Also look at www.discoverlookoutmountain.com for more suggestions about the area, including stuff about the yard sale.

I hate to say so...but Gadsden really doesn't have anything special to offer...for a unique experience, i would stay on up the road, even if you have to backtrack in the morning. ( not that far anyway.)

Have fun,

Miller

Kentucky
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Gadsden in 1 week

Thanks Miller - We are staying in Gadsden on Wed. night and we are staying in Chattanooga on Thur. night. This is our second year to do the sale so we know our route, just looking for something to do Wed. night before we head out the next morning.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Gadsden in 1 week

I hope you had a great time at the WLYS this year.

There is a restaurant located in the Gadsden Cultural Arts Center called the Courtyard Cafe. It is locally owned and a local favorite for lunch and dinner. Also, just down the street from there is Maters, which is an amazing italian restaurant. Either of these would be wonderful places to eat. Also in the area is a great coffee shop called The Coffee Well. They also serve very good food and desserts, and have live music over the weekends.

In the Mentone area which is near Fort Payne, Wildflower Cafe is somewhere you don't want to miss either. They were featured in Southern Living Fall of 2009 and 2010.

I work at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Fort Payne at exit 218 off I-59, which is about 30 miles North of Gadsden. The HIEX in Gadsden at exit 181 is our sister property, and if you are attending the World's Longest Yard Sale again in 2012, we usually offer packages including stays at both hotels. Both hotels are convenient to the yard sale.

I hope all of this information helps!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Gadsden in 1 week

Top O the River is nice. Pruett's has good BBQ. Have a great trip.

Pruett's BBQ @ 1617 Rainbow Dr., Gadsden, AL 256 - 547 - 4118.

Top O The River @ 1606 Rainbow Dr., Gadsden, AL 256 - 547 - 9817.

http://www.topotheriverrestaurant.com/

Reply to: Coming to Gadsden in 1 week
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gadsden
More Gadsden Topics