We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dauphin Island?

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Dauphin Island?

Help... We are an extended family of 3 generations, thinking of heading to DI for Spring Break next year. We normally do a barrier island outside of Charleston, but as there is a new baby in the family, we are thinking of staying closer to NOLA.

Originally we had thought of Fairhope, but that didn't play to the heart of the beach lovers in the family. Had discussed Gulf Shores, but that didn't ring true with those who wanted a quieter island. Let me just say, we did Laguna Beach (right outside Panama City) two years ago, and hated it... it was too much.

Three kids, range in age from 9 months to 4 1/2. The adults love to Fish, Read, Sit on the Beach, Shop and Eat out. Is this our location? Thank you for your help!

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dauphin Island?

Hi hmontei,

I'm sorry nobody replied to you earlier but let me give it a shot. Let's review what you want in a location:

The adults love to Fish, - YEP! Great fishing.

Read, Sit on the Beach, - certainly, nice quiet kid friendly beaches

Shop and Eat out. - Errrr, not so much. DI is a quiet, much more residential location. Shopping and dinning options are not nearly as plentiful as Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, etc. and it's location means getting to other destinations can be time consuming.

Is this our location? - Maybe. If shopping and dining is a focus for your family you may be better off looking at some of the low rise condo areas in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. There you will have much greater options, though at the expense of some quiet. Remember for the fishermen in your family there are several long fishing piers that extend into the Gulf, you may want to look at lodging near one of them. Best wishes and please enjoy your visit to Alabama!

Montgomery, Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dauphin Island?

There's lots of places on Fort Morgan Road. You can fish on the beach, read, there's a few restaurants close by but you're less than 30 min away from lots of restaurants and the outlet malls of Foley. We're staying in a condo on Ft Morgan road now, Gulf Shores Plantations.

mfarid2009
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dauphin Island?

Hello Everybody,

I am heading to the Dauphin Island on thanksgiving. Do you think the weather will be good to enjoy the beach or it is going to be cold?

Thanks

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dauphin Island?

Its always hard to tell. Bring shorts and a jacket. Some years it is warm and other years it is freezing. This past weekend it was in the 50's when I woke up and quickly warmed to 75, sunny with no clouds. I actually got a little sunburned on my face while fishing.

Edited: 9:12 pm, October 28, 2013
San Luis Obispo...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Dauphin Island?

Yesterday our family ate delicious fresh fish both grilled and fried at JT's Grill "the place where locals land". Don't pass up the key lime pie. It was tart and topped with meringue. There are tables both inside and out which are on the boat dock. Fish dinner only 12.99.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dauphin Island?

Hi Hmontei....

I visited DI for the first time 6 years ago. I had always been a Gulf Shores lover! I went with a group of Home School moms and their children. The first year, there was about 50 of us counting moms and children. We had kids from 2 to 18 years old. I fell in love with Dauphin Island. We continue to go back every year. We took the kids to the Sea Lab. (which they loved!) Some of the moms brought aquariums because there is so much Sea Life in the ocean. We even saw a baby octopus!!! In our group, there are some that like to shop, eat out etc. We always plan a day trip to Gulf Shores to get our fix! LOL We take the ferry there and back... Eat at LuLu's, shop and then head back to the peace and quiet..... Funny thing, one day of shopping usually does it

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dauphin Island?

Thank you! That does make me feel much better! I was wondering if a daytrip on the ferry was long enough!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
52 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dauphin Island?

Hi hmontei,

Hope you got my reply to your private message. If not, let me know. We just got back and have already looked into staying a month next year! We fell in love with the "laid back" island.

9. Re: Dauphin Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Dauphin Island
Recent Conversations