We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

Henley, Missouri
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

We are looking for a beachfront rental for July 06 and are considering Dauphin Island. I don't know much about it, any info could help. We have stayed at Fort Morgan the last 2 times we visited and loved it there but are looking for some where different. Can anyone help me? How is the water there? The kids like to ride the boogie boards and such. Also how far is it across the bridge? Does anyone know how long the ferry ride is from there to Fort Morgan and the price? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

I went to Dauphin Island this weekend to look around. I had to use a special ID to get to the west end of the Island. It is in bad shape. It will take along time just to get power back to the west side. If you want to come to the Island I would be thinking East.

Mark

Mobile
Level Contributor
212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

My advice is to stay on the east side of mobile bay, so not Dauphin Island. The water there is not nearly as clear as even on the Fort Morgan side. And the water at Fort Morgan is not as nice as Orange Beach, especially if you get east of Perdido Pass. There is not a lot to do on Dauphin Island. If you are not looking for anything other than a very private getaway at the beach and relief from crowds, the island is okay. Dauphin Island is what it is, a nice place for locals to own a home, but a step down from the Orange Beach side when it comes to water, beach, and activities.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

Yes, the island is very damaged but there are still many things to recomend it. I would suggest staying at "the Dauphin Island Beach Club". Just barely West End but great beaches. We have been staying there for years and have always loved it ( we love unit #206) www.dibeachclub.com Great floor plans especially for families with multiple kids. The pools are rebuilt and they had minimal damage if any. Great beach for boogie boards, fishing and kayaking. All available for rent on island. 40 minutes form Mobile, an easy drive. I don't know if the ferry is open yet but it was about a 30 min ride. Was $30 round trip for car and occupants. Fort Gaines, on island is great to explore, Estuarium I think is up and running which is a great hands on museum and in Mobile they have a great Exploreum.

Indianapolis, IN
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

How did you find this unit #206. We are planning a family vacation and have never been to the island. Thank you in advance

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

We found this through family connections in Mobile. The condo phone number is 1

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

Sorry... 1-877-551-1460 We like unit 206 th e best but they are all nice. We were there just this past weekend and it was to cool to get wet but we still had fun.

US
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dauphin Island/Gulfshores Info

Dauphin Island is definitely not the place to go if you want nightlife and crowds... but if you want a low-key beach vacation with a small town atmosphere, it's the place to be. The bike trail runs the length of the island, although the trek down the west end was damaged along with the road on the storm. The very west end (past the school house and public beach doesn't look like it used to, but it's actually better in my opinion because there are fewer houses (many were washed away in Hurricane Katrina). It's quite perfect for quiet evenings on your own private deck overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. You can rent houses on the West End or anywhere on the island from one of the many rental agencies. I recommend Dauphin Island Real Estate www.dire.com. Try the Lighthouse Bakery for fresh items and the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings in Cathedral Square in the summer. The Bird Sanctuary and the Shell Mounds are highlights for birders.

If you have a boat or rent a jet ski, go down to "the cut." You can walk to it (1/2 mile) from where the road ends also. The cut is a mile wide chunk that was carved out of the uninhabited section of the west end. It's quite beautiful, but be careful swimming - the current can be strong coming through there.

Hope you enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Dauphin Island
Recent Conversations