We have reservations through Boardwalk Realty to stay the week of Aug 22-29 in the gulf-side beach house called "Marisol" on the west end near Bienville & Slidell. It will be my husband & myself (we are in our late 40's) & my 83-year-old mother. We chose Dauphin Island for the peace & quiet & someplace that's not a tourist trap. We've never stayed in a house on the beach before so we have some questions.
1) Parking appears to be under or next to the house. Since the house is quite close to the water, do we have any reason to be concerned that the water would ever come up high enough to flood our car (other than during a tropical storm or a hurricane which I'm assuming we'd have advance warning)? A lady I spoke with at Boardwalk Realty implied that the water can rise & potentially flood out any car nearby during a routine thunderstorm. She said someone would call us in advance so we could move the car up to their office. This seemed very strange to me. What if a thunderstorm comes up in the middle of the night, as they often do? And if I park my car at their office, how do I get back to the house & vice versa?
2) The house is advertised with "free wi-fi internet" access. It is very important that we have internet access due to my husband's job & him potentially needing to access his company's computer system while we're at DI. I've seen other posts that recommend making arrangements in advance with a local company for an internet connection. Should I trust that the house will truly have reliable free wi-fi or is this just an advertising lure?
3) Are we allowed to have tiki torches on the beach at night?
4) We are driving from the Dallas area & plan to arrive at DI mid-to-late afternoon on Saturday, Aug 22nd. Our intention was to unload & then drive back to Mobile to a Walmart to buy groceries. I saw a post that said this is a 40-mile trip each way. Is that true? We don't want to spend a fortune for groceries but not sure that we'll have enough room to bring everything with us.
5) Is there someplace on the internet where the hours of the restaurants on DI are posted?
6) How late in the day does the last ferry return from Fort Morgan?
7) Are sharks a problem at DI? I generally don't venture too far out when I swim in the ocean but don't want to do anything foolish.
Thanks in advance for any responses!