We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

Mechanicsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

We will be going in August and this is our 1st trip to DI. We usually go to Gulf Shores . Any information that anyone can provide will be great. Is the water blue?? Can the kids get out in the water? I also seen where someone said to take a day trip to New Orleans from here. How far is this??

Again, any information is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

I can't remember how far New Orleans is-perhaps 3 1/2 hrs. The water is not as blue/green as FL or (from what I hear) Gulf Shores. I've never stayed Bayside (I hear it isn't as nice sand as Gulf front/side)but the water Bay side is probably calmer. But Gulf front many times is calm-of course depending on the weather. I see kids out in the water all the time when I go. Be sure to bring your groceries with you or shop for them before arriving @ the island. A decent grocery is nonexistent there (but there is one @ Bayou LaBatre). But you can easily obtain soft and hard refreshments at the Ship N Shore-even crab traps which are in the back of the store (acutally the back of Ship N Shore has cool guy gear/stuff). They are fun for the kids to put out-though you probably won't catch much. There is Skinners Seafood on the main drag to buy fresh shrimp, crab, fish for dinner. They will even steam it for you. You will see shrimpers out in the water. I always see Dolphins too. It is quiet and family friendly. You should have a very nice time. Bring vinegar and water for jellyfish just in case. I've never been stung but they are there sometimes.

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

I'm from near New Orleans and spent July 4-11 on D.I. N.O. is about 3 hours away, long for a day trip in my opinion. Kids can get in the water but I would watch closely. Waves can be rough. I found the bay side calmer and warmer too, so that may be an option for the kids. I'd watch them though. No Jelly Fish all week. We saw many gulls, porposes, skimmers, terns, herons and even a sailfish. The bike path is really great but hot and windy on west side. Nice little parks. Fort Gaines really nice. Didn't make the estuarium this trip, but last time I went it was great. Kids would love it. Ship and shore has about anything you would need but much more expensive. They have a small variety of fresh veggies too. Bottles water was about 3 times what you pay at Walmart. I suggest a small inflatable pool for the kids put in the sun. I even saw someone bring a small inflatable pool near the shoreline and pour buckets of gulf water in it. So if you have a really small kid, that would be an option. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have. I'm still floating from a wonder tip and experience there.

Mobile
Level Contributor
212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

Be especially careful towards the east end of the island - there have been several drownings through the years around Fort Gaines. I believe it is posted no swimming there. The currents with the water coming out of Mobile Bay make swimming especially dangerous there.

Mechanicsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

Any place to rent wave runners or fishing trips??

Kids r ages 3-15 so looking for ideas of things to do. Also, where is the closest grocery off of the island???

If anything else comes to mind to anyone....let know.

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

Greer's Bay Market is about 15 miles north of the island on Dauphin Island Parkway. We found it stocked well with everything you would need...fresh produce, meats, bread, dairy, alcohol, everything....

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

See my post above for more information too. I saw a place near the ferry dock that rented bicyles and scooters. I'm sure someone must rent waverunners too. There are several charters from the dauphin island marina but I heard Captain Mikes takes walk ons easier.

Bring a kite, beach chairs, beach umbrellas. My week there for July 4th week ranks up with the best vacations I've ever taken. We booked again for next year.

7. Re: Is the water rough at Dauphin Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 15, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Dauphin Island
Recent Conversations