We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience of kolkata

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
My experience of kolkata

Dec 2013 First time to india and boy what a eye opener ... We (father and 13year old son from brisbane Australia ) Arrived in kolkata from bangkok at 11pm and were met outside by heaps of touts taxi drivers , all giving crazy prices to sudder st where we were staying. I had done my research and knew the price and finally found someone to take us there . We had to walk out towards the outer entrance of taxi area and were met with taxi we jumped in and he zoomed past all the other taxis as if he was trying to escape having to pay a airport fee or something. The taxi looked like it should have been put off the road 50 years ago we drove down all theses dark streets no street lights and looked like a war torn areas . Taxi driver received a phone call spoke in Indian of course as we were driving down theses streets was starting to wonder if we were getting set up to be robbed but no we arrived safely at our hotel in a sh.. hole of a street was a scary taxi experience especially being late at night. Next day we went on a pre arranged motorcycle tour of kolkata with http://www.tourdesundarbans.com/ (they were walking distance to hotel in sudder st and they met us at hotel ) it was a really awesome tour highly recommend doing it even though I had a sore backside after it lol spent 8-10 hours on tour and didn't see one other tourist in all that time . Seen all the things as described in there tour , mothers house, flower market, historic cementry etc , only thing that made me feel a bit awkward was arriving at the old bathing building area beside the bridge and there was a area out the back which there was a heap of Indian people standing around placing firewood around on a big pile which we were standing very near too and I asked the tour guide what were they doing he said that there were about to cremate the body in the middle of it ...I thought O my god here we were are as tourists standing beside people who just lost a loved one and were about to cremate them .I felt like I was intruding and felt sick inside and asked to leave. The flower and herb markets were awesome and do try the tea that the man sells absolutely delicious .

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My experience of kolkata

Nice post Brent, would like to hear more. I'm heading their for 2 nights with my daughter (22) before heading to Varanasi. Would you recommend the Sudder St area to stay and what hotel did you stay in? and while I'm at it what is the going rate for a taxi from the Airport? Any other do's and dont's greatly apprecriated :)

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna
Level Contributor
14,010 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My experience of kolkata

Thanx for sharing your experience about city of joy , Kolkata.

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My experience of kolkata

Hi we stayed at Lytton hotel which was not too bad and the service at breakfast was awesome the waiters were really good . We had a room overlooking street interesting watching people from people sleeping in the street to people just going about there lives . We only stayed two days but doing the motorbike tour was the highlight and they are only around the corner from hotel as for taxi just google taxi fare from Calcutta to sudder st and it gives you a indication of costs etc we got a taxi pretty close to what was quoted but hey if you pay a 100 rupee more its not the end of the world as its only a dollar or two

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My experience of kolkata

Thx

We'll definitely do the tour, just what I'm looking for.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My experience of kolkata

There are prepaid taxis available at the airport. You need not go with the touts. They are likely to scam you. Kolkata is a wonderful city if you know how to get around.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My experience of kolkata

Definitely go for the prepaid taxi into Sudder street should be around 300 rupee, Sudder street is right near market areas not really a sh##hole. Love Kolkata you need to allow more time, for a great tour try Calcutta Photo Tours. I recommend the flower market tour.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My experience of kolkata

Thanks for the advice Brave1. Will check out the prepaid taxis. Kolkata was an after thought, I originally planned to arrive and depart from Delhi, but there seems alot to do I may have to add on another day. Will check out the photo tour as well.

Chittagong City...
Level Contributor
73 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My experience of kolkata

I very much agree with Brave1

Edited: 8:58 pm, January 18, 2015
Chittagong City...
Level Contributor
73 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My experience of kolkata

very much agree with Brave1

Edited: 8:58 pm, January 18, 2015
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My experience of kolkata

Im there in July for 1 night will be an interesting experience

Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)