We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park street shops closure days

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Park street shops closure days

We are planning to be in Kolkata in August. Which week days the shops in Park Street are closed? Looking for high end cloths (shari/salwarkameez) store. We will be in Kolkata for 3 days.

Looking for budget hotels in walking distance (less than 5-7min walk) near Park street shops. We are two adults and prefer a hotel below Indian Rs. 3000/day.

We have enough SPG points to get 3 free nights in ITC Sonar, Kolkata, near Science City. But that's 2-3 miles away from Park Street shops. if we stay in ITC, can we come for Park Street anytime with 10 min, by Taxi? Or we could be in traffic jam and 2-3 mile could be 30 min ride? In that case we will choose a budget hotel within walking distance of Park Street shops. Any possibility of difficulty, getting a taxi from Park Street to ITC Sonar, some times of the day?

Please recommend your suggestions. Should we plan for ITC Sonar (free) or choose a budget hotel near Park Street. Shopping is our primary objective.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park street shops closure days

Hi Budget_Traveller_OR

For shopping you can refer to thethread

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304558-i7263-k7056…

Prefer ITC since you have SPG points. ITC is one of the premium in kolkata. Now you would always get Taxi from parkstreet to ITC (any time of the day and night) and vice versa at any point of time. The travel time is usually 20-30 min.

Enjoy your stay in Kolkata.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
39,255 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park street shops closure days

Budget_Traveller_OR

Shopping area of Kolkata has now been decentralized from Park Street to different parts of the city. You can get unique shari/salwarkameez in boutique shops around Shakepeare Sarani, Dakshinapan, Gariahat, Ram Mandir (Central Avenue) and of course in Park Street area.

You can reach Park Street from ITC Sonar within 20-30 min by cab. There is no comparison of ITC Sonar with any hotel whatsoever the reason is.

Edited: 10:55 am, January 02, 2014
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park street shops closure days

Hi,

If shopping is your primary objective, consider staying at the Park Hotel. Its bang on Park Street, and its very good, although does not really compare with the ITC Sonar. If you want a 5 star, stay at the Oberoi Grand, Park Street is in walking distance or just the next station on the Subway.

Most shops are open everyday, few are closed on Sundays. If you go to a mall like the Forum or South City mall, all shops are open everyday.

Have fun !

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Park street shops closure days

Thanks for all your suggestions. In December 2012, we stayed in ITC Sonar and we loved it. The Park Hotel on Park Street would be too expensive, as I have to pay for it, ITC Sonar would be with my SPG points (free). Based on suggestions, we will stay at ITC Sonar.

In our last Kolkata trip, we went to New Market and stores around it, and that was total waster of time. We didn't find very good quality stuff there. The City Center Mall next to Swissotel Kolkata was much better than New Market shops. I am assuming Park Street stores will have even better selection of salwar kameez pieces.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park street shops closure days

Assuming you want to buy Saree/Salwar you can try your options in Dakhinapan/Gariahat/College Street and Satyanarayan AC Market in Bara bazar. these places have some of the best traditional shops running for the last 60-100 years and have unique varieties.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park street shops closure days

Budget_Traveller,

Based on what I can gather about your preferences, you may want to visit South City Mall on Price Anwar Shah Road. Quickest way to get there would be by a taxi from ITC sonar, thru the EM Bypass and using the Price Anwar Shah Road connector past Jadavpur Police Station. Fare would be approx Rs. 150 one way.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park street shops closure days

Well for your stay please choose ITC. You will get a cab from hotel to park street. I am a bit unsure about cabs going the other way round. I had stayed in the apartments near the hotel and cabs were charging me in most instances 20 to 50 rs extra.

For shopping as few have suggested Ram Mandir, Gariahat and other places will be good. I especially like dakshinapan that post Gariahat and Golpark. Also please check out few shops in Treasure Island near former Globe cinema.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park street shops closure days

Sorry forgòt to mention that new market is closed after noon on Saturday and mostly closed on Sunday sans the fresh vege market. Gariahat is open on the Saturdays and Sundays but opens late on Monday. Shops open after noon in Gariahat on Mondays.

9. Re: Park street shops closure days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 12, 2015